A Benevolent Eye

by Utopian_Raindrops 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

When I read this it remined me how often I felt I wasn't doing good enough as a JW and how I wish such a peaceful message was what the sheep shared.

You know Jesus was Jewish while on the earth and now and again I look into thier beliefs.

I could never abandon Our Savior and Lord Christ Jesus,But Often I Like The teachings I Find.

The Site I Got This From Is A Bit Too Political For me...But they have a daily wisdom section...it has kind of replaced my daily text......this one is one of my favorites so far.

Rabbi Yochanan ben Zakkai asked his disciples, 'Which is the way to which a person should cling?' Rabbi Eliezer said, 'A benevolent eye.'

Ethics of the Fathers (2:13)

http://www.jewishworldreview.com --Consciously or unconsciously, we see that which we want to see.

The great Chassidic master, Rebbe Levi Yitzchak of Berditchev, once encountered a man who was eating on the fast day of Tishah B'Av. "You have certainly forgotten that today is Tishah B'Av," he said.

"No," the man said. "I know it is Tishah B'Av."

"Ah! Then your doctor forbids you to fast," Rebbe Levi Yitzchak said.

"I am in excellent health," the man answered.

Rebbe Levi Yitzchak lifted his hands toward heaven. "Master of the Universe!" he said. "See how precious Your children are; see this man's love of truth. I gave him several ways to justify his eating on Tishah B'Av, but he would rather incriminate himself than lie. Your nation is so wonderful! Please treat it more mercifully."

Other people might have reacted, "What a defiant scoundrel!" Rebbe Levi Yitzchak had "a benevolent eye." He saw only the good.

A person can become what we think of him. Frankly dishonest people have become honest because someone trusted them.

This is vitally important in parenting. Children may become bad if they sense we think they are bad. In Positive Parenting, I note that we must learn to discipline children without making them feel bad.

We often catch our children doing something wrong and reprimand them. We must also "catch them" doing things that are right, at least three times a day, and praise them for it.

A wise person will develops his "benevolent eye."

When Rabbi Eliezer fell ill, his disciples visited him. They variously praised his teachings as being superior to the rain, to the sun, and to parents. Rabbi Eliezer did not react. Then Rabbi Akiva spoke up. "Suffering is precious," he said. R' Eliezer then said, "Help me sit so that I can understand what my child Akiva said" (Talmud, Sanhedrin 101a).

Looking back and saying, "See what I have accomplished" is vanity. Looking ahead and saying, "With the skills G-d has given me I hope to accomplish" is self-esteem.

Rabbi Eliezer dismissed the comments of his disciples who praised his teachings of the past. Knowing he was terminally ill, he had no hope of teaching again. Rabbi Akiva said, "You are required to do only what you can at any one moment. When you were in good health, your obligation was to teach. Now you cannot do that. But you do have the ability to accept your suffering with faith in G-d. That is now your obligation. Whenever you fulfill your obligation according to the circumstances you are in, that is all that G-d asks of you."

Rabbi Akiva's wise words finally brought comfort to Rabbi Eliezer.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Very nice Utopian - it is true that we can find something useful and good in most religions!

note that we must learn to discipline children without making them feel bad.

We often catch our children doing something wrong and reprimand them. We must also "catch them" doing things that are right, at least three times a day, and praise them for it.

With my autistic son, we had been doing a therapy called ABA (Applied Behavioral Analysis). One of the KEY ingredients in this therapy is to "ignore the bad" and to constantly find the good & compliment it.

Most people act or do something because they get something from it, and especialy with children they will seek attention with either negative or positive behavior. Thru the above therapy, which I have since learned to apply to EVERYONE in my home (hubby too) I have found that if you look for the good and reward it, it encourages further good. If you look for the bad and reward it (although you may view it as punishment) it actually raises the chances that said behavior may increase. Boils down to looking at what the child/person is getting from the behavior, eliminate the reward and you eliminate the behavior. Sounds strange, but I'm finding it works everytime!

Thanks for this - very nice read!

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

((((((hugs))))) grudger for your wonderful reply!

My son is also Autistic.....he was misdoagnosed at 1st and some of his behaviors made other adults want me to spank him...which I refused! I hate spankings...instead I found other ways...and tried always to be positive. He is my happiness and joy and I never wanted him to feel unloved.

I felt spankings were the easy way out for the moment and was short lived solution where as teaching......instruction was the best way...although taking much more WORK! Sometimes,I call it mental wrestling.

With my son I did not understand all his behaviors since he was diagnosed hearing impared and well you have an autistc son so you know! Still I always found away to work with him.

For instance b4 KH on Tue. and Wed. he wanted the dishes in the sink done and would have a fit. I knew he wanted them done because he would scream and point (also even though he had/has delayed speach I some how know what he wants).On meeting night so we'd be on time I would put house work of till we returned. At 1st I tried to have the house in order b4 leaving but, I didn't like all the hurry.....I am relaxed kind of person..... I said forget it I will do things my way.So said to my son we are going to get ready and go. He would continue to object in his usualy way while I would just dress him and carry him out to the car....put him in the car seat.....drive to KH him still protesting..... take him out of the car...walking in with him still having a fit...lol....send my other 2 kids to thier seats.....go sit in the bathroom or the library and set him down...I'd watch him keep protesting untill he'd relize where he was........he'd look up at me....rub his eyes....take my hand and we'd go to the main hall and sit with his siblings. Many wanted me to spank him but, I would not do this at KH! I said I wanted my children to feel about KH the way King David did! I did not want them to think of it as a place they went and got spanked at! Besides in time...(over a year of this) he understood we were going that is it and would cooperate

Anyway, in time we thought maybe he had ADD and I was fortunate to see on PBS(my fav station) a program about an Autistic woman , Dr. Temple Grandin.She has her degree and is a very successful woman. I saw how she made a machine for squeezing Autistic children and wondered if it would work on ADD. On my own I started to squeeze him when he would have his fit and whisper in his ear how I loved him...Jehovah loved him.....Jesus loved him..would list family members names who loved him....and I would explane to him what we were trying to do etc etc and this would calm him. We could then move on to the next step and have a meal....or color a picture...etc. It took 4 Doctors till my son got his correct diagnosis and realy only after I read an article in "Woman's Day" magazine of April 23,2002....artical called,"Labor Or Love" It was of mother's and thier special children...one mother's son was just like MINE....and I was saying to myself this is sooooo my son!!

Yes it took till my son was 6 years to find out his challenge to over come!! I was so happy I believed in POSITIVE reinforment and not negative!! Also, now we know why Dr.Grandin's method worked so well with him!!

So far we are very blessed as his nurologist believes in alterrnative therapy and he takes a supliment...not a drug...(so important to me)....it is called CARN-AWARE. I started taking it with him so I could get an idea of what he might be feeling and I control his dose.....based on what I feel and what I see of his behavior....factoring in differance in size,etc. This suplement can be obtained at www.carn-aware.com

Also, now I have learned of a place called ,The Institutes For The Achievement Of Human Potential"

I am going to be getting thier books and maybe attend thier seminares if needed. My understanding is they are non-profit so this I think is good.**link below**

http://www.iahp.org/index.html

It is always nice to meet someone who understands anothers challenges grudger....thank-you.

((((((hugs))))) agape,

bye bye 4 now

Utopian_Raindrops

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger
    Dr. Temple Grandin.She has her degree and is a very successful woman. I saw how she made a machine for squeezing Autistic children and wondered if it would work on ADD. On my own I started to squeeze him when he would have his fit and whisper in his ear how I loved him...Jehovah loved him.....Jesus loved him..would list family members names who loved him....and I would explane to him what we were trying to do etc etc and this would calm him.

We actually went to a conference last spring where Dr. Grandin had a 2-hour lecture - quite fascinating!!

Also, have you looked into "sensory integration" for your son? Alot of our guys are intolerant to certain physical & visual stimulations and it sounds if he benefits from the "squeezing" technique, he might benefit from some sensory integration too (which can be provided by your local school district). I'll post the title of the book I've got on that when I get home.

Our little guys are a challenge arent they?!!! But such a reward!

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

If it weren't for my views on a certain Jew that lived 2000 years ago, I'd have converted years ago to Judaism.

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

(((hugs))) Pretygrudger!

Yes our guys are a challenge but very rewarding! As you already know!!

I would love the information!! And the school district...ever slow...will evaluate him in the new year.

Already he has speach therapy with a wonderful woman and his father has excellent insurance and so what the school doesn't supply they will. We are very blessed this way.(Now hopefully his father will hold this job that suplies such insurance)

Thank-you so much for your suport to us.......for you grudger

C-U Later.....

agape,

Utopian_Raindrops

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

Yes Yerusalyim,

I love alot of Jewish teachings and My son's therepist is Jewish....she says to me she believes I was destined to marry an Orthadox Jewish Man I don't know...only Jehovah knows.....But still I have let her know I could never abandon Yeshua (Jesus) Who died to save us all.

So I will have to wait for my destiny and be happily surprised

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Hey there - the name of the book is:

The Out-oof-Sync-Child by Carol Stock Kranowitz, M.A.

But, I happen to be done with my copy - so if you email me your address, I'd be happy to send it to you, along with some other literature.

Let me know!

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

Thank's prettygrudger

I'll be e-mailing you soon!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit