Christmas Traditions from "DownUnder"

by NewLight2 8 Replies latest jw friends

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

I'm intersested in learning how all the folks from "Down Under" portray Christmas being that it is a Summer Holiday there. You can't have a Christmas card displaying "Frosty the Snowman", a nice Winter counry scene with snow falling, Santa in a snow sled, or snow covered trees with snow falling. Or can you??

I'd be interested in having some links posted that contain pics as well as some of the traditional ways that Christmas has been celebrated in the past from all of those "down under".

ps - please post links, DO NOT use the 'inframe feature' my browser can't see the inframes.
    Thanks,

NewLight2
    From the winterized Northcentral USA

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Yep, we do have all the Winter themed cards, a decorated pine tree and we eat a hot roast Christmas dinner, even though Christmas is usually one of the hottest days of the year. There are some who try to do something a little differnt, like having a seafood BBQ with lots of salad, but old old traditions die hard. There is a move (usually among restaurants and resorts) towards "Christmas in July", when all all the hot fare would make sense.

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Stephanus wrote:

"Yep, we do have all the Winter themed cards, a decorated pine tree and we eat a hot roast Christmas dinner, even though Christmas is usually one of the hottest days of the year."

Now THAT really surprizes me. Here in the "frozen North" some wade out in lots of snow to the 'gas grill' (bbq) and cook the turkey outside. Why don't more down under folks fire up the barbie and do the roast, turkey, or steaks etc. outside instead of heating up the house with the oven?

NewLight2

• blondie
    blondie

That lack of snow in December is a problem in the US and it's not south of the equator. Most people in southern California and Florida never see a flake. We visit down there and during the Xmas season and while everything is decorated, it is just not the same without the snow. Amazing since many historians agree that Jesus was most likely born in October and there was no snow.

Does it snow somewhere in Australia? The Blue Mountains perhaps. Does it stay year round? Where do the pine trees come from? Are they the traditional pine or spruce?

Blondie(who has always lived where the snow is deep)

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

New lite

We have Red candles, Green Christmas trees, and santa figurines and flashing Christmas lights and we eat our Turkey Dinner with SWEAT pouring out of our brows in 40 degree heat!!

Edited by - refiners fire on 7 December 2002 21:56:2

• Prisca
    Prisca

Many Aussies who live near a beach often head down to the sand to spend Christmas Day. They have a picnic, eat Christmas cake, and watch their kids play with their new toys. They then start discussing field service arr..... ohhhhh, you meant non-witness Aussies, did you????

The above is all true. For several years the cong I was in, as well as others I knew of, would arrange a "congregational picnic" at the beach on Christmas Day. It was a practical thing to do, because CD is very boring for a JW. There's nothing on TV to watch, because they're all Christmas programmes. Some of your friends might already be on holidays, so you can't go and visit them. So the only thing left to do is to get together, eat, drink and be merry!

• In_between_days
    In_between_days

Yep, like everyone has already mentioned, it is quite traditional down here - egg nog, trees, fake snow, winter themes and so on.

Cant say I know many people who go for the turkey though, my non dub family members have a big xmas pool party with plenty of beer, prawns, moreton bay bugs and other chilled seafood. I went last year, but this year we have plenty of presents and my first xmas tree, my husbands family is joining us. We are also having a quite elaborate xmas eve martini party. Its going ot be my first official xmas, I cant wait!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Does it snow somewhere in Australia? The Blue Mountains perhaps. Does it stay year round? Where do the pine trees come from? Are they the traditional pine or spruce?

Oh dear, Blondie, you need some educayshun!

Don't you remember the Winter Olympics? Of course, we have snow; that's why we had some top skiers. We're not too original, so our snowy mountains are known as the Snowy Mountains. Get it?? They're in the south of NSW and on the border with Victoria where they're known as the Victorian Alps. It's really all part of the Great Dividing Range which is the main line of mountains in Australia. It runs the whole length of Oz from north to south along the eastern coast. It's the only high mountain range in Oz and it's where Mt Kosciosko, our highest mountain, is found.

Does the snow stay year round? Are you kidding? This is the sunburnt country. We have a snow season from around June to September.

The Blue Mountains do have snow occasionally. They form part of the Great Dividing Range and are found to the west of Sydney, providing cooler mountain air away from Sydney's heat. Why are they called the Blue Mountains? Because they appear to be blue from a distance. The blue colour is caused by the eucalyptus from the gum trees.

Where do the pines come from? Not native to Oz, they were imported in colonial days. However, we don't generally see them since they are found in highlands and mountains areas.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Ozzie

• blondie
    blondie

Duh, ozziepost! That's right, I even saw the movie "The Man from Snowy Mountain." I had a "senior" moment there. I don't watch the Olympics much any more. I used to watch ice skating but there is too much cheating lately.

Australia is very multi-cultural like the US. I would suppose there are many and varied customs.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit