NT vs. OT

by Lin 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lin
    Lin

I've been wondering why so many Bibles don't contain both the OT and the NT, why some only have the NT? Why do some churches/ministers only teach from the NT and disregard the OT, when even Jesus quoted the OT? From what I've been reading in various posts about scriptures in Daniel pointing towards things yet to happen (unless I misunderstood the post)it would appear that continuing to use and teach from the OT AND the NT should continue. So, how come so many ministers don't anymore? I don't think that the OT should be left out of Bibles, especially since the NT quotes directly from the OT. So, what's up with so many Bibles not even having the OT in it?

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Lin.

The Old Testament is an embarrassment.

Full of:

"Woman be silent".

"Woman hast thou committed adultery, drink this water and if they belly swells thou art guilty" While her dear husband is bonking thirty "wives" and 50 "concubines".

It is full of sweet stories like the condemantion and destruction of 10s of thousands of hapless,innocent, Israelites. Killed by plague because the King of Israel did a census count when he wasnt authorized to do a census count.

The killing of children by being eaten alive because they called "Gods prophet" "BALDY"

Stuff like that. Definitely an embarrassment.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

"Your grandfather slept with a woman of the Hitittes, and so your generations are cursed until time indefinite and shall be a slave nation forever"

"The people have been in the desert a year Lord, have no water, and are complaining ". "STAND ASIDE AND I WILL EXTERMINATE THE MURMERERS" Saith the Lord.

"Every male and male child of the city you must slaughter, but the females who are virgin you may keep for your own amusement"

You get the picture...

Edited by - refiners fire on 15 November 2002 21:50:59

• shera
    shera

Mabey,because Jesus' sacrifice released us from many of the OT laws?

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

Apart from the freedom given from the Mosaic Law, there's practical wisdom to be found in Proverbs, religious devotions in Psalms, and a lyrical book on love called the Song of Solomon. But they don't get the air time "the law and the prophets" do.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Yeah, the Dubs love Psalms and Proverbs.

They quote from them all the time when they dont have any SCRIPTURAL BACKING for their interpretation.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Lin,

I think your original premise is wrong, namely that the OT is NOT used. It is in every church I've witnessed.

It's true that it's possible to buy Bible versions that only contain the NT or the NT with the Psalms. I guess this is to provide an abridged version of the Bible. before you jump to any conclusion on that, don't forget that the first part of the NWT to be published was the NT and for some years only the NT was available.

As a footnote, have you noticed how much of Dub theology is OT based?

Cheers, Ozzie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit