An Experience with the Service Desk

by Ginosko 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Ginosko
    Ginosko

Hi,

In my country there are one office in the Branch who's named Service Desk. This Service Desk is in charge of all the judicial affairs.

This experience happened almost 2 years ago, and is related with child abuse.

It happened that the elders committe of my congregation submited a recomendation for elder nominate of one brother, but the Service Desk didn't agree with us in 2 CO visit opportunities. In the third visit of the CO we get an order from the Service Desk not to ask again for this recomendation, and they order us to put a note in the file of this brother because of a child abuse experience.

They told us that when this brother was 18 years had an assign in one city and that in this assignment he had a love experience with a girl of 15 years, and recently almost 12 years after, she made a claim about that. The love experience involve kisses and hugs not any more, and the girl taked the first step.

The elders of my congregation assigned me to make a research and finally they asked me to write a letter to the Service Desk with a position against their order.

Our position was that she was not a child, because she was 15 years old. We sustains this position because all the laws in Latin Amrecian talked about sex abuse crimes when the child are less that 12 years, and one country talked about 14 years. We point to the experience of Jesus at 12 years as an indication of the Bible about that at this age, the child are in other mindset. We also argued that this was not an abuse experience because she began approaching the brother, she began with the kissed. We also argued that if they insisted in the position that every young man or young girl less that 18 years was to be considered a child in this kind of child abuse crime, then maybe almost all of the elders and publishers of Peru might be child abused criminals, because in the Latin American countries is common that the love experiences began and this age, and also at 14 years for most of the girls.

Our research also told us that in the following years this girl was constantly following this brother from city by city and that he refused to continue with this experiences, and also and elder of our congregation who is member of the Country Branch, told us that he believes that this brother was being accused by the Service Desk because of some sort of envy.

Another elder and me were assigned to talk with elders of the Service Desk in one acasion, and this elder of the Branch asked me for all my research, he was very interested in the legal appers. In a second opportunity, in this case with the chief of the Service Desk of all the country, we had and ugly experienced because we got a point in which he threat us to be removed because we don't want to follow his orders, he said that he had more information that he can gave us. I replied that I need to obey my trained concience in this topic, and that he don't gave us this more information, for me will be a sin if I follow his order without a clear biblical reason. At last he told us that he will take the responsability, that he will put the note in the files of the brother because we don't want to do it.

As I told in another thread, I had been DA by this same Service Desk because of my position in the WT-ONU affairs, against my will, I told that I didn't want to be DA. I believe that in some degree this judgement was taked because of my position regarding this topic. They are more history about this point, maybe I told you in another thread.

What do you think about this experience ? I believe that there's a lot of topics to talk about.

Was me and the elders of my congregation right or the Branch Service Desk was right ? ... maybe we both are.

Thanks for your comments.

Edited by - Ginosko on 10 November 2002 20:42:43

Edited by - Ginosko on 11 November 2002 18:53:48

• hamptonite21
    hamptonite21

Is it possiable the service table new more than it led on to believe?

• Ginosko
    Ginosko

Hi Hamp,

Is it possiable the service table new more than it led on to believe?

At last the chief of the Service Desk Branch told that, when they had not more argument to gave us.

As the brother of my congregation told me it was very common that young girls approach him in all ocasion. He's good looking, spiritual, well instructed and wealthy this kind of combination is very uncommon in our country. On the other hand, it appears that he likes the youngs girls in theirs firsts 20's, he was in his 30's. But for me is very common that a man in his 30's likes girls in there's 20's. There was not any other evidence to us, to believe that he was an abuser, he seems to be a very good brother. I also heard a rumour that when he was a CO some brothers told that he was involved in a romantic experience with a girl in her 18's who was studing the bible and wanted to be bapticed. As I believed he was removed as a CO because this experience. I believe that this last conduct is wrong, but I think that this point is very different to be a criminal abuser.

On the other hand, I believe that he didn't lie to me and the others elders, and as I told, one of the elders who was of the Branch Comitte of our country told us that he believes that there's some sort of envy against him in the Brach Service Desk.

The main point is that the Branch Service Desk gave us an order without any more information. They order us to sign a paper as we, the elder of my congregation had decided that judgement with the evidence at ours hand.

Edited by - Ginosko on 10 November 2002 20:58:59

Edited by - Ginosko on 10 November 2002 21:7:13

Edited by - Ginosko on 10 November 2002 21:10:40

Edited by - Ginosko on 11 November 2002 18:55:20

• Ginosko
    Ginosko

Hi,

As I never gave my position about the child abuse matter, I'm going to do it now.

I agree with you that the two witness rule is dead wrong in the case of child abuse, and also agree that the elders are not qualified to treat all the points involved in a child abuse judgement, I agree that this crime need to be investigated by experts, and that the WT are not happy to do this because they try to protect theirs image in first place.

On the other hand, I'm happy that never had to be involved in a comitte that taked decision on this evil sin, but I'm not happy that I not realized this wrong understanding of the WT when I used to be an elder.

• Ginosko
    Ginosko

Hi,

I had received an e-mail from Silentslambs seems regarding this thread, at the end you will see it. As youll note it talk about things that make us to think about. I don't think that Silentlams don't like me to attach their e-mail, if so, my apologies for Silentlams, but I think that this are important topics to talk about.

Of course maybe none of us are experts about this topics, but maybe some of us want to share our informed position.

I make a research in these points reading the legal position in Latin American, which had been influenced by the Spain and France legal point of views. For this research I used an Argentinas legal dictionary. The legal dictionay that I used talk about the legislation in various countries, and they said that they are difference in the legal view about the sex crimes in childs according theirs ages. For this books is very different to abuse of a baby of two years than had sexual relations with a 15 years old child. The dictionary talked about 12 years old in most of the countries as the point in which the sex crime is different, and for one country 14 years old.

It also difine the term abuse, and talked about the abuse as an act to take advange of a position, the advantage can be in fisical power, psicologial power, social power, authority and any other. Im in agree with this definition, but if I see a better definition I would accept it. I also believe that each case maybe be different, and that this is another reason because the elders arent qualified to make judgement on this topics

These legal definitions in the world are a work in progress, one of my grandmothers married at 13 with one of my granfathers at age of 40 near 1915, she was gave by theirs parents. Did he was a child abuser ? In view of today mindset yes, but maybe not when he married her. They are cultural differences between countries and timeframes, we need to be awere of it.

How many of us had sex with ours girlfriends or boyfriends at age of 15 ? Luckily I didnt.

But are those who had sex at age 16 being one year older than their partner, child abuser for all theirs lifes ? Is this act the same than have sex with a boy of 8 years ?

In the case that I considered, there was not sex act involved, only kisses and hugs. I dont have a final position about the other hypotetical case, but honestly, in my country at least I dont think that I could label a man or a woman as a sex abuser because of this hypotetical act.

I think that these are important points to think about. Maybe they are a lot of you guys which will not agree with me, and I admit that they may be a lot of emotions involve, my apologies to those that have another ideas, but I think that is my responsability to stand my position because I made some research in this point. Please don't hate if you don't agree with me, instead give more information. On the other hand I would appreciate others opinions, I think that is a very import point to talk about.

e-mail from Silentlams ...

A consenting minor moving toward adulthood

I found an interesting point when reviewing some material with a reporter yesterday and thought I might share it. In the latest information on the JW media website the following comment is made on their backgrounder section under the topic Jehovahs Witnesses and Child Protection:

In a few instances, individuals guilty of an act of child abuse have been appointed to positions within the congregation if their conduct has been otherwise exemplary for decades. All the factors are considered carefully. Suppose, for example, that a long time ago a 16-year-old boy had sexual relations with a consenting 15-year-old girl. Depending upon the jurisdiction where he lived when this happened, elders may have been required to report this as an incident of child abuse. Let us say that 20 years have passed. The child abuse reporting law may have changed; the man may have even married the girl! Both have been living exemplary lives and they are respected. In such a rare case, the man could possibly be appointed to a responsible position within the congregation.

So according to this information a child molester is defined by Watchtower policy as a 16-year-old boy who had sexual relations with a consenting 15-year-old girl. In this instance the boy would have to wait for 20 years before he could qualify for privileges in the congregation. Is this an accurate reflection of Watchtower policy? If you refer back to body of elder letters which establish exactly what policy is, you will see the definition of a child molester clearly defined to elders in the congregation. The BOE letter makes this comment:

WHO IS A 'KNOWN CHILD MOLESTER?

What is child molestation? Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary defines "pedophilia" as "sexual perversion in which children are the preferred sexual object." (See "Questions From Readers" in The Watchtower of February I, 1997, page 29.) Deuteronomy 23:17, 18 condemns such practices as "detestable." (See the footnotes to verses 17 and 18 in the Reference Bible. Also, it would be helpful to see the footnote on page 10 of the , issue of Awake!) In harmony with these references, we are herein discussing sexual perversion in which children are the object of sexual abuse, including fondling by an adult. We are not discussing a situation wherein a consenting minor, who is approaching adulthood, has sexual relations with an adult who is a few years older than the minor. Rather, we are referring, for example, to situations in which it is established by a congregation judicial committee that an adult brother or sister has been guilty of sexually abusing a young child or has been sexually involved with a non-consenting minor who is approaching adulthood.

Did you get that? Sex between a consenting adult and minor is not considered child molestation in the definition of the Society. Though in the definition of most States it is considered child abuse here we have a Biblical edict determined by the GB that while in violation of most secular laws, is administrated throughout the world in all congregations. If the consenting minor moving toward adulthood wants it, it is not child abuse. At what age do you move toward adulthood? This is left for untrained elders to determine. Yet when the Society wishes to reach for an example to justify the reappointment of child molesters after 20 years of not getting caught, they use a scenario that does not even apply when their current definition of a child molester is defined. The fact a man that rapes a child can be reappointed in 20 years is a service department policy that has been in effect for many years. This is verified by the British BOE letter which states:

There is one exception to the above direction: The elders may have written to the branch office and given full details about a former child abuser who is currently serving as an elder or ministerial servant. In such a case, if the branch office has decided that he can be appointed or continue serving in a position of trust because the sin occurred many years ago and because he has lived an exemplary life since then, his name should not appear on the List, nor is it necessary to pass on information about the brothers past sin if he moves to another congregation unless contrary instructions have been given by the branch. If therefore, such an appointed man moves to another congregation a letter confirming the move should be sent, addressed to the Societys Legal Department.

The abuser did not have sex with a consenting minor moving toward adulthood according to WT policy instead he had to rape an un-consenting child. Then after 20 years if deemed worthy he can re-qualify. Does that make you have a warm fuzzy feeling?

When you think of how misinformation is given to brothers and sisters as well as the media to cover the atrocities committed against children it brings to mind what Erica said when asked her view of the explanation offered by the Society on their abuse policy? Liars.

In order to protect a flawed policy a scenario is presented that does not even exist in the definition of WT policy on child abuse according to secret memos given to elders. They ask their membership and the media to trust this misinformation as a way to establish their credibility in protecting the congregation. If men supposedly appointed by holy spirit are willing to fabricate what can be proven by their writings to be a total lie to protect the image of the organization, can you really trust them to protect and put your childs interests first if they are ever molested? Honest hearted people know the answer to that question and will never allow the rape of their child to be shepherded by company men.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I feel Bill Bowen is unreasonable when he is labelling say a 16 year old that has sex with a 14 year old a "child molester" or an "abuser". Many of these laws on the books are old and do not accurately reflect the reality that is taking place presently in modern society. These laws often exist in case the daughter's father wants to pursue the matter legally, but I would think many police would not actively investigate and pursue these matters unless they were specifically asked to do so.

Society in general does not equate consenting sex between two young people (close to the same age) where they may not legally meet the age requirements set out by the law on the same level as a pedophile or a child abuser. For the sake of credibility and reasonableness I think it is important that a distinction is made and I don't find fault with the Society in doing so.

Path

• wednesday
    wednesday

I agree( in general) that 2 people close to same age (with neither of the 2 being over 18) having consenting sex is not the same as child molestation- if it is molestation- who is getting molested-the boy or girl?

however, i am old enough to know the term JAIL BAIT and that generally refers to a girl) undrer 18 having sex with someone over 18. It is considered rape, whether she is consenting or not. If she consents, it is called statutory rape.It is a crime-punishable by jail time.

I just wanted to say-Bill Bowen from silent lambs is working very hard to help victims of abuse. I do not consider it good form to post a private e-mail he sent you. He is working to force the WTS to change its rules about the 2 witness rule and to force them to see these things as CRIME, NOT JUDICAL ISSUES ALONE I can see u are excited about this issue and much has been said about it on this forum and bill bowens silent lambs forum. I'm sure he'd appreciate any comments u have.

Edited by - wednesday on 12 November 2002 0:21:3

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Something to think about:

How old was Mary when she gave birth to Jesus?

What may be the "norm" for us in western lands may not be the same in other parts of the world, or many hundreds of years ago.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Ginosko
    Ginosko

Hi Wednesday,

I agree with you, it's not a good form, neither in my culture. Specially when we receive a note to not talk about it. (This last point is not the case)

On the other hand Silentlams is making a lot of work in this matter, I think that's is very important that Silentlams be very sure about what they are doing. This points deeply affects lifes of all people that are involved, that's the reason because I choice to not follow a good form in this times. In this specific point I'm not in agree with Silentlambs, and I believe that in the long term it will be better if all of us are very sure if what we are doing has strong support, if not we may lose credibility. When be choice to be a leader we have more responsability.

It's not my norm to go againts good forms, I do it only in special ocasions. But again my apologies if Silentlambs dont want me to attach his e-mail. Maybe I'm dead wrong, the forum will judge me, and I will accept that judge. We need to take responsabilities for the decisions that we choice to do. I think that Silentlambs is doing a great job supporting the victims, and that they need to continue doing great job in other points to.

We may not be in agree in a lot of points, but we need to talk about our differences with respect. We need to admit that maybe we are wrong in some points, or maybe in almost all.

I think that my questions needs a public answer.

I can agree that having consenting sex with a 15 years old could be a crime, but I believes that this situation is very different than being a pedophily. I think that you agree with me in this point.

I do not consider it good form to post a private e-mail he sent you

Edited by - Ginosko on 12 November 2002 10:48:58

Edited by - Ginosko on 12 November 2002 10:55:30

• wednesday
    wednesday

Ginsko,

o i agree nothing wrong with discussion. If u look at top you'll see 'search' just type in silent lambs or bill bowen and you'll get a multitude of posts with all sorts of opinions.Opinions are many and varied. I am female and am a silent lamb. I had no problem with your discussion, or even referring to a post u received form bill, but still i always hope if i send something to someone it will not be reposted on discussion board. However, bill said nothing in the post that he hasn't said publically, and many times.

Bill has an agenda, and that is to try and change policy in WTS about 2 witness rule , and to force elders to abide by law and report abuse to authories. Also, he is trying to expose the practice Jw have of protecting the abuser and and silencing the abused.I am so grateful he is doing this.Many times the abused jends up DF and the abuser -NOTHING.

Certainly u have a right to your opinion. Many here also do not agree with Bill. He has a web site and u can register and post there too..I would post u a link, but i am not that computer savy , so maybe someone else will do it. Sorry.

Again , the laws do vary from state to state here in usa, but generally, it is against the law for anyone to have sex with someone under 18, with or without their consent. But these are not the usual cases Bill talks about. generally it involves molestation of a small child , with no witnesses .

I only speak for myself here bill certainly does not need me to speak for him so i would e-mail him and tell him your concerns. . 'welcome to the board.

Edited by - wednesday on 12 November 2002 11:32:51

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit