dantheman's soccer woes...and shunning

by DanTheMan 8 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Been trying to involve myself in some different activities, now that I have some time on my hands, being de-towered and all. On Sundays I've been playing soccer in an over-30 recreational league in town.

During a game last Sunday, I was going after a guy who had the ball. He passed it to a guy who was behind me. As I was turning around to carry on in my pursuit, I was absolutely SLAMMED in the side of the head by the ball. I mean this guy launched a rocket shot at me from point blank range. People who saw it were ready to run to their cell-phone and call 911. They were surprised that it didn't knock me unconscious. My wearing glasses did not help matters, as the impact forced my glasses up against my eye, creating a small cut. I also have a bit of a shiner (bruised eye).

Well, today at work, I walk past a JW coworker who I was formerly friendly with, but of course she is shunning me now. She sees my eye, and makes a face. I know she wanted to ask me what happened, but she caught herself and carried on with what she was doing. I would have been more than glad to tell her the story without any vile apostate ranting thrown in.

Isn't it weird how JW's are prevented from having normal human interactions, in the name of loyalty? What an absolutely kook religious org. God I'm so glad I'm not a P.O.W. anymore.

Dan, of the shouldn't-play-soccer-with-glasses-on class

• myself
    myself

I think it crazy that you would have to work with someone and not be allowed any type of inneraction. It isn't as if you asked her to have lunch with you. Carrying things to an extreme, that's what they are all about. Do your co-workers not notice it?

Enjoy the soccer, it is time to enjoy new experiences in life. Next time you be the rocket

• JEMIMAH
    JEMIMAH

Dan Mate

It is football not soccer

In england only girls call it soccer

Good to hear that you are playing the great game though

Cheers

Jem

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Dan

Cool game soccer...my 12 year old plays it at school, she's pretty good too...she hasn't come home with a shiner though.

I'm surprised at your co-worker's attitude, as they are allowed to interact with worldlies and DF/DA ones in the work place, from what I understand anyway. She must be one of those staunch to the point of ridiculous ones.

Cheer up Dan, come here and let mama take a look at that eye for you

~Beck~

• Duncan
    Duncan

Hi Dan

Sorry to hear about your woes, mate.

Shunning at work? I think it's bizarre, and certainly a matter to take up with your employer. What if she has some information or figures or something you need to do your job? What about if she takes an urgent message for you? What's she going to do, not pass it on? Depending on the circumstance, wilful failure to comunicate with co-workers could amount to a sackable offense, IMO.

As for the football - I occasionally referee games at weekends. I would certainly not have let you on the pitch wearing glasses. Don't do it again, for your sake - next time you might end up with glass in your eye.

Hope you get well soon though.

regards

Duncan.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    de-towered

Love that expression! Great word, Dan. Thanks, mate.

Keep your chin up; someone'll be sure to hit it!!!

Cheers, Ozzie

• Mum
    Mum

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Dan.

I work for a government agency (local level). Apparently it's okay for JW's to have government jobs now because there are several JW's working in other departments. There used to be one in my department, but she treated me nicely because she pretended not to know I was an evil apostate. Anyway, she got fired for doing consulting work on government time.

What gets me about this "religion" is that 99% of the stuff they harass people for has nothing to do with right and wrong; it's about clothing, education, enjoying life in any way -- in short, preserving their precious image (as if their image is untarnished), anything but the true marks of a good human being, character and courage.

I read a quotation the other day that really reminded me of how twisted their priorities are: "The hottest part of hell is reserved for those who in times of great moral crisis remained neutral."

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

She's healing just fine, thanks for your concern. I was lucky the ball didn't hit me straight in the face, it most certainly would have broken my nose.

Beck, won't you kiss my eye and make it all better honey?

Soccer, or football, is a great sport. It seems like it has become one of the most, if not THE most popular recreational sport in the U.S. But for some reason it just can't seem to catch on here as a spectator sport. About 10 years ago a professional league was formed (MLS) - but they have yet to turn a profit. The Columbus (Ohio) Crew is one of the teams, I love going and watching them play. One of the players, Brian McBride, is being recruited by European teams. He is an excellent player, but he gets injured a lot.

As far as my coworker goes, she works in a different department than I do, so it is only on rare occasions that we need to communicate about any work related matters. In those cases she does speak to me. And she really lights up on those occasions, she is a nice person, but totally towered, she would be absolutely lost outside of JW-World.

Edited by - dantheman on 1 November 2002 18:30:58

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

Sorry to hear about your accident Dan...

Maybe you should think about getting some sports goggles.

My oldest daughter had a pair of glasses bent up from a soccer accident too...thank God for Lenscrafters ;)

Hang in there Dan <g>

Lizard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit