Serena and Teresa--JWs with different goals

by blondie 9 Replies latest social current

• blondie
    blondie

Recently, there was a brief mention of the death of Teresa Graves who left a promising career in entertainment to become a JW.

What about today? Would she have made the same decision based on Serena Williams' career goals?

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=4&art_id=qw1036048322262S163&set_id=6

Serena to star on the small screen

October 31 2002 at 09:54AM

Los Angeles - Serena Williams has gone Hollywood with a guest spot on Wednesday night as a kindergarten teacher on ABC's "My Wife and Kids."

"I've never considered tennis as my only outlet," the world's top-ranked player said, adding she performed as a child in plays written by sister Venus.

"I've always liked doing different things when I was younger. I just never really liked focusing on tennis. I do see myself as a crossover."

Serena and Venus have won four Grand Slam titles apiece, and Serena has won the past three majors.

But Serena also has been working with acting coaches, and signed with agent Jill Smoller at the William Morris Agency, which also represents "My Wife and Kids" star Damon Wayans.

"I've had lots of (acting) opportunities. It's just that other career that I have - that other small career - that's putting a hindrance on my acting," the 21-year-old Williams said with a smile.
    She is competing in the WTA Championships, which start next week in Los Angeles. - Sapa-AP

TERESA GRAVES

Actor dies in fire

Actor Teresa Graves, who appeared regularly on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In and went on to star in her own television series, Get Christy Love!, died early Thursday after a fire swept through the back of her home in the Hyde Park district of Los Angeles, fire officials said.

Ms. Graves, 54, was found unconscious in a bedroom where the fire apparently broke out. Doctors at Daniel Freeman Hospital in Inglewood were unable to revive her.

Fire investigators said the blaze, which broke out about 12:30 a.m., was apparently caused by a faulty space heater in the bedroom, which had been added by enclosing a porch on the house.

A smoke detector in the front of the house apparently went off but failed to awaken the actor, officials said.

Hollywood publications indicate that she abandoned her acting career in 1983 to concentrate on her involvement with the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Officials say she leaves her mother, who had lived with her but was hospitalized recently after a stroke.

Edited by - Blondie on 31 October 2002 8:11:4

• teenyuck
    teenyuck
    All I can say is that my husband saw a trailer for the TV show and asked if she really were a man in drag.....he also mentioned how "large" she was for a tennis player.

He made the catty comments, on his own, without any prompting from me. My response was she was a JW; who cares?

I love the comment:

I've had lots of (acting) opportunities. It's just that other career that I have - that other small career - that's putting a hindrance on my acting," the 21-year-old Williams said with a smile.

So has Tiger Woods....she needs to try to keep some dignity and concentrate on what she does well. Why screw up your tennis career when you are not even at your peak?

BTW, I did not watch the show last night. I watched Bernie Mac....He is funny!! I love that show and Cedric the Entertainer afterwards.

Knowing that the Damon bros were brought up in a JW household; I just cannot look at him anymore without a WTS logo above his head.

• blondie
    blondie

I want to watch Bernie Mac, but I have so many shows on that night and only 1 VCR. I'm hoping I can see it later when reruns start in the spring.

I watch the Wayans knowing that they may have had to go because of their dad, but it hasn't carried over into the adult life. We can pick our friends but not our family.

Blondie

• Shakita
    Shakita

Are the Williams' sisters really JW's?

I know that it has been said before, I even watched the tennis match where one of them thanked Jehovah for her win.(or the strength to win, whatever)

If they were/are JW's, they wouldn't be able to be who they are now. No REAL JW parents would allow their kids to devote all their spare time to a game that brings them no "spiritual gain." "My goal is to auxiliary pioneer this month!", "My goal is to pioneer this month!", ..............."My goal is to win the Wimbelton this month!" I DON'T THINK SO! See what this kind of thinking brought Michael Jackson$$$$$$$$

• blondie
    blondie

Shakita, they may be unbaptized JWs. But Venus and Serena have identified themselves as JWs. What their definition of that is, is questionable. They attend a congregation down in the Palm Beach Florida area with their mother.

It would be interesting to contact their congregation elders and ask what the scoop is?

• Shakita
    Shakita

Oh....That's interesting. A congregation in Florida. Betcha that congregation doesn't ever need a "special needs" talk on meetinng the congregation's $$$ needs.

With the bucks they make, and if they are truly "cheerful givers" then that must be one happy congregation accounts servant they have there!!!!!!

• blondie
    blondie

Shakita, actually the Palm Beach is quite a wealthy area in general so most JWs living in that area would have a few bucks.

Blondie

• TR
    TR
    Los Angeles - Serena Williams has gone Hollywood with a guest spot on Wednesday night as a kindergarten teacher on ABC's "My Wife and Kids."

I watched that episode last night. Funny! So, if Daman Wayans is a former 'hovah himself, can't Serena be DF'd for associating with him? Or, is this under the venue of "work" responsibilities and not association?

TR

• LB
    LB

Good thought TR. But like you reasoned, it's work related so approved. Plus if Serena is just an unbaptized publisher as has been mentioned in other threads they couldn't and wouldn't do much anyway.

• Mum
    Mum

Excuse me, but aren't the Wayans brothers "apostates"? Sweet little Serena has sold her soul to Satan (or is she merely "flirting" with Satan?) by appearing on an "apostate's" TV series?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit