Abuse of a Slow neighbor.

by Protarded 5 Replies latest social relationships

• Protarded
    Protarded
    i figured relationship would be appropriate. so my next door neigbor is, not slow. She's pretty sharp. Few bricks shy? No, not really. I'd say, physically disfigured? Facially disfigured. Mentally stunted? Can't drive but rides a tricycle to work part time in addition to disability she has mentioned once or twice... We've had a beer or two. Now that her mother has died, I think the sister is in charge of distributing funds. I don't quite know how that works. But I know the neigbor is not in charge of it. It turns out, instead of spending the money on part time care, the sister moved a gaggle of her druggy friends into the house. Now these 3 people laze around all day while my "disabled?" Neigbor works. I'm not a busy body by any means, but I am a damn good neigbor. My question is, should I make a request for welfare checkup? Taking advantage of slower people is not ok with me. But I don't want to cause mor disruption than good.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Yes, call family services (or whatever it is in your State/region. Sounds like she is a victim of abuse.

Doc

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen
    Yes, let the authorities sort it out. If it's a false alarm fine. If not, you may save a life.
  • truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam
    Absolutely call and let the authorities look into it. Always error on the side of those who can't protect themselves.
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Call up and watch them do nothing. If its legally the sisters money there is nothing to be done.

Also...do you KNOW that these "druggies"are indeed what you say they are or do you surmise it because of the way they dress/look.

Incidentally..beer is alcohol, alcohol is a drug.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

If you suspect a vulnerable person is being used or abused, do please call the authorities.

If the sister is executor of the parents estate, a guardian ad litem (or something) could be assigned to look after her interests, both daily issues and financial. I have a friend who is marginally disabled and depends a lot on her sisters (who are good women), but if they were not so good, it would be really easy to take advantage in more than one way. She isn't a stupid person and her intelligence is not THAT low, she has minor physical limitations, but the way all things shake out with her, she is very vulnerable because of oxygen deprivation at birth.

Do be a good neighbor. And go to more than one resource if you need to. It might be that sister just needs to know shes on the radar to clean up her act. Get your neighbor on a couple of radars.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit