Mistranslation of Mat 24:39 ?

by Ginosko 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Ginosko
    Ginosko

Hi,

The last weekend CaballoSentado ask me to do my own researh of Mathew 24:39.

In the new translation in English said: "and they took not note until the flood came and swept them all... "

In Spanish said: "I no hicieron caso hasta que vino el diluvio y los barrio a todos ..."

This verse are use by the WT as a condemn to the people who lives before the flood, but as it seems is bad used. The word that are translated in spanish as no hicieron caso dont means any negative point of view, it seems that the correct translation might be some thing like:

In English: and they didnt realized until the flood ...

In Spanish: I ellos no lo entendieron hasta que vino el diluvio ...

Seems that Mathew is talking about the fact that mankind dindt experienced any flood before, and not about any wrong attitud about a message from Noe. Following is my research :

39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

39 kai <2532> ouk <3756 > egnwsan <1097> (5627) ewv <2193> hlyen <2064> (5627) o <3588> kataklusmov <2627> kai <2532> hren <142> (5656) apantav <537> outwv <3779> estai <2071> (5704) kai <2532> h <3588> parousia <3952> tou <3588> uiou <5207> tou <3588> anyrwpou <444>

1097 ginwskw ginosko ghin-oce-ko

a prolonged form of a primary verb; TDNT-1:689,119; v

AV-know 196, perceive 9, understand 8, misc 10; 223

1) to learn to know, come to know, get a knowledge of perceive, feel

1a) to become known

2) to know, understand, perceive, have knowledge of

2a) to understand

2b) to know

3) Jewish idiom for sexual intercourse between a man and a woman

4) to become acquainted with, to know

Synonyms

See Definition for ginwskw 1097 See Definition for eidw 1492 See Definition for epistamai 1987 See Definition for sunihmi 4920

1097-a knowledge grounded on personal experience

1492-to see with the minds eye, signifies a clear and purely mental perception

1987-a knowledge obtained by proximity to the thing known, cf. our understanding

4920-implies a native insight, knowledge gained through the five senses

Aorist Tense The aorist is said to be " simple occurrence " or "summary occurrence", without regard for the amount of time taken to accomplish the action. This tense is also often referred to as the 'punctiliar' tense. 'Punctiliar' in this sense means 'viewed as a single, collective whole,' a "one-point-in-time" action, although it may actually take place over a period of time. In the

The kind of action (aktionsart) of a Greek verb will generally fall into one of three categories:
    1) Continuous (or 'Progressive') kind of action.
    2) Completed (or 'Accomplished) kind of action, with continuing results.
    3) Simple occurrence, (or 'Summary occurrence') without reference to the question of progress. (This is sometimes referred to as 'Punctiliar' kind of action , but it is a misnomer to thus imply that, in every instance, the action only happened at one point of time. This can be true, but it is often dependent on other factors such as the meaning of the verb, other words in the context, etc.). . What do you think about ? .. by the way its only coincidence that this research took the greek word ginosko.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Start Here. Then, after you've read all the research, we can talk:

http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/flood01.htm

Farkel

• Ginosko
    Ginosko

Hi Farkel,

I'm not so pretentious to tried to prove the historical fact of a flood.

Maybe in a few years. LOL.

I'm only talking about the posible mistranslation of Mat 24:39.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I would agree Ginosko. There are many mistranslations, not just misinterpretations - and certainly a mistranlation makes it easier to pass off an erroneous sort of understanding. Could you tell me Ginosko, how does the watchtower interpret Luke 18 - the parable of the unjust judge?

paduan

• Satanus
    Satanus

Paduan

Basically, their god. Here are the quotes:

*** w80 6/1 19-20 Praying to Jehovah so as to Be Heard ***
    In his parable about the widow who got justice from a judge who neither feared God nor respected man, Jesus likewise stressed the importance of persevering in prayer. (Luke 18:1-8) If we are truly earnest about the things for which we ask Jehovah God, we will "persevere in prayer" and "pray incessantly."-Rom. 12:12; 1 Thess. 5:17.

*** w78 2/1 25 Your Maker Deeply Cares About You ***
    He should persist in praying until he gets a clear understanding on what is the wise course to take. If he does not do so, he will not be showing God that he has faith or that he is really concerned about getting God's answer. That was the point in Jesus' parable about the widow who persisted in appealing to the judge for relief before he finally granted it.-Luke 18:1-8; Jas. 1:5-8.

*** w63 8/1 480 Questions from Readers ***
    So one has to importune or entreat a hater to render one a kindness. One may even have to entreat the indifferent person. In the parable of the widow and the judge, Jesus Christ told about a judge who did not fear God or have any respect for man. It was only because the widow kept on entreating the judge that he finally responded to her appeals and saw that she got the relief to which she was entitled. (Luke 18:1-5) The judge did not have his heart in it. Likewise even if a hater does render a kindness to one, as a result of being entreated, he may not have his heart in it or behind it and may do it just to be relieved of that one's entreaties.

*** w79 5/15 20 Prayer in These "Last Days" ***
    13 Coming now to the illustration at Luke 18:2-5, there is again a supplicant, this time a widow, and also the man in a position to supply her needs, pictured by a "judge that had no fear of God and had no respect for man." He finally and begrudgingly saw that she got justice, as he said, only "because of this widow's continually making me trouble." There was no doubt about her persistence, illustrating the 'need for us always to pray and not to give up.'

14 That judge is similar to the man at Luke 11:7, for here we again see a complete contrast with what God is really like. Notice, too, Jesus' further comments as to what God will do, contrasting him with that "unrighteous" Judge. God will "cause justice to be done for his chosen ones . . . even though he is long-suffering toward them." He will do this "speedily." (Luke 18:6-8) We can learn much from these comments. This is why we must try to view all things from God's viewpoint, whether in some personal matter or in the outworking of his purpose. As Peter explained: "Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you [God's people] because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance." And as the prophet reported Jehovah's words regarding the fulfillment of the vision: "Even if it should delay, keep in expectation of it; for it will without fail come true. It will not be late."-2 Pet. 3:9; Hab. 2:3; see also Revelation 6:10, 11.

15 In personal problems, we can be assured that any seeming delay in the answer to our petitions is not due to inability or unwillingness on God's part. If, like the widow, we are suffering injustice or persecution, how do we manifest faith that justice will be done? We must not only keep on praying, but also maintain a faithful course of action. If we compromise in order to avoid persecution, then, of course, there would be no need to keep on praying. This would not only indicate a lack of faith, but would also result in our losing the evidence of being one of God's Christian servants.-2 Cor. 11:23-27; 2 Tim. 3:12.

SS

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I suppose it depends on what you're asking for.

From a Paduan who lived about eight hundred years ago -

A person of many resources (a certain town), had a conscience (judge) who did not fear God, nor have proper regard his fellow man, and his soul (widow), once spouse of the Spirit, would come to him saying "help me against my adversary" (the flesh), and at first he didn't, but being continually troubled about his soul, he did what was right and restrained his flesh. If such a judge (conscience) will do what is right (albeit for attrition not contrition) over the trouble of the widow in his jurisdiction - his soul, how much more would God help you to do that - and straight away too. And won't God give due help to those that he has simply chosen to - who cry (sin / a cry) both by day (knowing better) and by night - but even so, after coming to their aid, will they continue to believe that God is goodness for them, and does love them?

I thought Ginosko might enjoy some refreshments after all that org food.

paduan

Edited by - a paduan on 22 October 2002 18:20:7

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I had a look at Matthew 24:39 - and what I am hearing is

"and they had what they needed but made arrangements among themselves, until the person asked by the Lord had taken up his cross, his loved ones also safe from drowning now, they were separated - everyone outside of that simply started to drown in the waters that came from heaven (no 'wood' around them?) - and that's how it is when Jesus visits us - two people have the same cares, but only one will hang on to that."

I think benny hinn thinks that last bit means they're all going to literally disappear up into the sky in a "rapture" - any time now, real soon, it's just around the corner.......

paduan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit