Why Should JWs Fight Persecution?

by Mister Biggs 5 Replies latest social current

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

I know that this has been debated before and I even started a thread 'way back when' about this very topic. But, I can't understand why or how JWs can justify trying to end persecution against them.

Here is the argument: JW's believe they are the only "true" Christians on earth today. They often quote the scripture of when Jesus said that they will hate you on account of his name and because his followers would be no part of the world. How many times (when you were an acive JW) did you hear over and over again that we (as JWs) would face some form of persecution? My experience was that we heard it quite often.

So, a JW should EXPECT persecution if they are true to their beliefs, right? So, why try to fight it? Isn't persecution a part of fulfilling Bible prophecy? If so, then why does the WTBTS continually go to court or testify before legal authorities to seek (their definition of) human rights?

On the one hand they say "Expect to get persecuted". On the other hand, they complain to the authorities when they are persecuted and they ask for it to be stopped.

This is from the JW-Media site (highlights mine):

For Immediate Release
    September 10, 2002

The OSCE to hear from victims of human rights violations

"It is ironic that although I was twice imprisoned for my religious beliefs during the Soviet era, I am subject to more persecution now than ever before." Genade Gudadze, one of Jehovah's Witnesses from Georgia, will make this powerful statement as part of his personal testimony at the OSCE Human Dimension Implementation Meeting in Warsaw, Poland, September 9-19, 2002. Gudadze will speak at the Fundamental Freedoms session on Thursday, September 12. His experience is not an isolated one.

Despite ongoing efforts by the OSCE to promote religious freedom and encourage the government of Georgia to comply with OSCE commitments, the attacks on religious minorities have been continuing for almost three years. On August 16, 2002, Gudadze witnessed a particularly violent incident against a minority, when arsonists torched a convention site of Jehovah's Witnesses. At the OSCE meeting he will implore the Georgian government to stop shielding the perpetrators and thereby end this persecution of religious minorities by extremists, often with the support of the police. ***DUH! Isn't this what the Bible says? Aren't you the ones who apply this to yourselves?***

Georgia does not stand alone in human rights violations. A number of other member states of the OSCE are failing to abide by international agreements regarding the right of conscientious objectors to perform alternative civilian service. The government of Armenia, as a member of the OSCE, will hear Lyova Margaryan speak concerning 26 conscientious objectors who are currently being held in detention. Margaryan won a landmark court case in Armenia on April 19, 2002, after being prosecuted for his religious beliefs and activities as one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

On October 17, 2002, five Jehovah's Witnesses in Cyprus face a sentence of imprisonment or a fine by the Military Court in Limassol because existing legislation in that country fails to recognize the fundamental right of reservists to become conscientious objectors and to qualify for alternative civil service.

In Turkmenistan six Jehovah's Witnesses are serving sentences that have a combined total of 22 years. Two of these are young men who were convicted as a result of their conscientious objection to military service. Four others are serving prison terms on trumped-up charges because of their religious beliefs.

In Uzbekistan there is a severe deterioration in the sphere of human rights for members of religious minorities. The government of Uzbekistan, as a member of the OSCE, will hear about the raiding of peaceful religious meetings of Jehovah's Witnesses and about Murat Muradisov, who was convicted and held in detention after refusing to sign a statement renouncing his faith.

Jehovah's Witnesses are scheduled to hold a press conference at 2 p.m. on Thursday at the OSCE Implementation Meeting facilities in Warsaw. There they will present more information regarding human rights violations. Video footage of mob action and violent attacks will be available.

Media contact, English-speaking, Paul Gillies, mobile telephone: +44 7775 833880

If anything, this shows the real reason they signed up with the UN as a representative of Human Rights.

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

This thread was buried after only 16 reads.

Either people on this Board don't like me or I am the most overlooked poster on here! LOL!

• heathen
    heathen

this is an interesting question.No one wants to be persecuted even though the bible does say that those that are for the sake of preaching the good news will rejoyce in the kingdom of the heavens .However since they have come out with the revelation book I can see the interpretation of revelations 12:15 where they state that the world political powers are capeable of ending the waves of persecution ,it's possible they hope that the earth will come to their aid once again.However that would be a false hope at this point ,much like ancient Isreal putting hope in egypt when the babylonians were attacking Isreal.

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

Thanks for the insight, Heathen.

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

Mister Biggs,

It's the title that is overlooked, next time try, " Why should JWs Fight Boobie Persecution?"

Or ask for a donation to support boobs.

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

LOL!

I'll keep that though under consideration, NPY.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit