Will Anything at The Convention Make Those That Are In Start To Question Anything?

by disillusioned 2 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• disillusioned 2
    disillusioned 2

My husband, as far as I know, has never seen any of the GB. With all the videos on at the convention showing the GB speaking, is there anything that would make him think WTH!

He thinks the GB are special, appointed by Jehovah, that God speaks to them and imparts special knowledge. Surely Elmer Fudd (Lett) will be a shock to him.

Or maybe he will just think like my mum and sister, "how amazing that they now use videos at the convention" as if they had discovered this new technology!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

• The_Doctor10
    The_Doctor10

Hopefully the Drama on Friday "woke" some people up.

The two women who questioned the validity of Jesus' healing miracles were actually extremely reasonable. They doubted what they hadn't seen with their own eyes and asked very good questions. "How do we know she was really sick?"... "How do we know the little girl was really dead?" and in response the 'believer,' only said, as if this was any kind of credible claim, "They sounded convincing." taking it on 'faith.'

The GB with that Drama basically threw it in the R&F's face, many just bought it hook, line, and sinker almost as if we were literally watching Jesus firsthand, but I'm sure a few went, "Hey, wait a minute... How do we KNOW those things actually happened?!"

The stupidity is that anyone who voices that question will be looked at by believing R&F as, "Just have faith," as if that's somehow a great thing to do, don't think, don't question, just blindly believe what a 2,000+ year old book has to say.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I have heard that a couple of local JWs although still being loyal to the WBT$, are saying that the whole image of the WBT$ is 'corporate'.

I would imagine that anyone with doubts will be fast tracked to 'apostacy(tm)' by seeing the likes of Pope TOMO and his fellow paedophile protectors.

• C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r

Sadly I don't think so, there where some cleverly told lies but it would not stumble someone who does now know they are lies, which require researching the JWs online...

Also some contradictions but I don't think anyone would pick up on it without trained critical thinking skills, which most JWs lack and are discouraged from using. A good JW will attribute any of these things to "human error" and it will not lead to doubt. You also have to remember that JWs don't pay super much attention to what is actually said, we who know TTATT are thinking about what is said and questioning it, they simply buy it without a second glance and so they will not see the "questionable things" unless someone brings them up and then they will just come up with excuses for whatever was said.

They listen to this propaganda for many hours each week, it is no wonder they zone out and don't really pay attention to what is said.

I remember when I was young, I wanted to really find out if it was true. So I started paying attention to every word that was said and apply critical thinking to it, that is when the cracks appeared. Same with the literature, and my parents sometimes understood the problem with what was said but would just shrug it of as "human error".

It is funny that I was the one who really listened at the conventions, read every scripture in context and made a lot of notes while many of the other kids in my age where talking to each other, joking, walking around a lot etc. Some where trying to pay attention but it is very hard to concentrate for so many hours, especially when the speaker is boring and nothing interesting happening for a few hours. And now, they are still in the "truth" while I am not...

I am telling this because if they are in JW mode at the convention, they are going to nod along with pretty much anything that is said no matter how stupid or crazy. There are exceptions of course, hopefully your husband is one :)

• pronomono
    pronomono
    I don't think so. I agree with The_Doctor. The doubters were pretty convincing. They brought up points I hadn't ever thought of. "Nobody actually saw him heal her. He rushed everyone out of the room." The drama presented the faith as a blind faith that you have no evidence in, just hearsay. The more I thought about it, I realized that I can see that now. But honestly, if I was still in I wouldn't have batted an eye. I would have thought, "Hmmm, really good points! We do have the truth." I imagine the only ones who really caught on were those already mentally out or starting to doubt.
  • leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Yes, the underlying point to that drama was not, "is Jesus REALLY the Messiah?" It was, "do Jehovah's Witnesses REALLY have the truth?" Sadly, their invitation at the end of part 2 to really make sure of what you believe and convince yourself will have very little effect. The line of reasoning to a typical JW is: 'Jesus WAS the Messiah because of all the evidence, so Jehovah's Witnesses really DO have the truth!' But to anyone who is awake, this line is completely fallacious. Replace the question: "How do you KNOW Jehovah's Witnesses have the truth?" With "How do you KNOW Mormon's have the truth?" Or Catholics? Or Baptists? Or any other group?

And while the video produced plenty of evidence for the narrator about Jesus being the Messiah, they did not produce one stitch of evidence regarding Jehovah's Witnesses. Because they can't. The evidence actually points in the other direction.

Oh, sure, they'll say, "But Jehovah's Witnesses are the only group that preaches God's Kingdom worldwide!" Or, "Look at the growth, all the building work! Surely this is God's organization!"

To which I say:

Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look! Here is the Christ,’ or, ‘There!’ do not believe it. For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will perform great signs and wonders so as to mislead, if possible, even the chosen ones. - Matt 24:23,24

But the lawless one’s presence is by the operation of Satan with every powerful work and lying signs and wonders and every unrighteous deception for those who are perishing, as a retribution because they did not accept the love of the truth in order that they might be saved. - 2 Thess 2:9,10

JWs look at their own signs (extensive preaching work) and wonders (construction work, jw website, videos, literature carts) and are misled. And don't think for a moment there isn't unrighteous deception in there. We've talked at great length here on this forum about the money-grabbing scam going on. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

• disillusioned 2
    disillusioned 2

Thanks for your replies. Perhaps it's all down to how much he listens then. I really am hoping though that him seeing and hearing the members of the GB will make him question what they say.

Also the cartoons, I don't think he would think they were cute like my mum does. He is quite a cynical person and I can't understand why he questions everything else (news), (newspapers) etc, but nothing that is in print in WT and Awake mags.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit