Happiness is....

by FreeGirl2006 4 Replies latest jw experiences

• FreeGirl2006
    FreeGirl2006

having brunch and then getting a massage instead of sitting at the Grand Poobah Session several blocks from my house. It always irritated me how the convention was always scheduled for July 4th weekend and now it doesn't matter. Not trying to rub salt in the wounds of you poor ones who have to be bored or angry by turns at the RC this weekend, as I did decades of drone seat warming.

Isn't it funny how you can finally admit things freely once the cult personality is shredded? I used to be such a faithful little mouse, attending the convention, diligently taking notes, and afterwards parroting how "this was the best convention ever." What I never was willing to admit was that I took notes to keep from sleeping from the sheer boredom of hearing the same old s**t and frankly I rarely could remember any standout specific points. I could remember the 20 minute ending prayer from Brother Puffed-Up at the end of the day when you just wanted to leave.

My favorite part of the conventions was seeing (faux) friends and the cute guys. I enjoyed getting extra-dressed up (because we had so little opportunity in our area for that). Now I can see my(real) friends and get swanky any time I wish. Cute guys (with personalities and social skills) abound in the worldly playground. I don't miss one thing about those conventions now.

On a side note--all the sister bashing on here bothers me. I guess because I once was one. I am attractive and always dressed in a stylish manner. I worked full time at a great job, supported myself in my own home, had an active social life, was a faithful drone at the meetings, service, aux pioneered, etc. I just wanted to find a decent guy in the cult. I was not interested in titles or whether he was from Bethel, a pioneer, etc. I didn't flirt indiscriminately or fling myself at every chap around. I was friendly with men and women alike. One brother told me I was too smart and needed to hide that. I decided if I couldn't find a suitable mate because I was too smart, then that was a good thing. The selection of brothers was meager at best. They all seemed to want the pioneer girl just out of high school with the education of a paper bag or they had the social skills of a tree and a few of them were obviously gay. So, the poor selection of dating material works both ways. Frankly, no one caught in a cult is a catch for anyone since they generally have no clue what their true personality is or can't show it if they do know. Is it any wonder so many dub marriages are a train wreck? You don't know who you are and you don't know who you are really married to. My train wreck to an average Joe publisher turned out to be the vehicle by which I found the TTAT so perhaps my marriage (and definitely the divorce) was a blessing afterall!

Hope everyone is enjoying the July 4th weekend in the states!

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

FreeGirl2006

I don't miss one thing about those conventions now.

I live next to several families who have their convention today. I woke up early because the pattering sounds of rain woke me up. I made me a drink, put on some shorts and went for a walk in the park. It was great. When I came back home all the families were going crazy packing their vehicles with lunches, cooler boxes, rounding up the kids, and husbands yelling at their wives to hurry up. I can’t believe all the years I lost doing that shi**

I set up the grill, set up some speakers, got the guitar ready, and had a great morning.

On a side note--all the sister bashing on here bothers me.

Don’t let it bother you. It’s just a general statement. There’s a lot of elder bashing on here and I was an elder for many years along with many others, but it’s not intended as a direct hit to us personally, it’s directed at “Who we were” when we were under the spell of the WT. You have to admit, as long as they are under that spell, both men and women can be totally moronic.

• Gulf Coaster
    Gulf Coaster

Best. Convention. Ever. lol! Yep, sure remember mindlessly parroting that myself. Everybody did. Because you had to. Imagine saying how you truly felt, that you'd been bored silly again, finding it absolutely excruciating and another waste of a perfectly good weekend

I remember the excitement in the KH at the upcoming conventions. But really, they mainly were just the same old crap regurgitated in a bigger venue over a longer time period.

And yeah, we'd all dress in our best, even buying new outfits, to hopefully impress someone at the Meet Market. Lots of young brothers and sisters ended up getting married to someone they met at a convention. So glad I escaped before that happened to me.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Haven't been to an Assembly for over 30 years , haven't missed a thing ether , since most of time its repetitive talks that you've probably heard a thousand times. Encouragement, encouragement for the end is soon.

You should spend more time in service to save lives and appease Jah bla bla bla ....

The only time I was happy at an Assembly was when the final prayer was over and we left and went out for dinner then Home.

• rebel8
    rebel8

It is good to remember the old days and how much better times are now, with our freedoms. (Just went for a swim and now I'm off to a massage too!)

One brother told me I was too smart and needed to hide that.

My take on the "sister bashing" is more of pity and criticism for accepting an inferior social role rather than vitriol, but YMMV.

I was just recalling being told being an intelligent girl was a liability in the borg. Boys wouldn't be attracted to me because they would feel intimidated or worry I wasn't going to be a subservient wife.

@ several points I was instructed to ask boys questions, even if I knew the answers, just to make them feel smart! I'm not sure if I'm more intelligent than the avg sista or if I'm just worse at hiding it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit