Should religious groups get rent breaks?

by Kenneson 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Next year, JWs want to hold two 3-day conventions at Roberts Stadium in Evansville, Indiana, but they don't want to pay the full price. Scroll down to see article "Bigger break sought on stadium. Jehovah's Witnesses want it for $4,000 a night instead of $5,000." Click on full story. Read article than look on the right for the poll to the question: "Do you think religious groups should get price breaks when renting public facilities?" Vote and add a comment if you like. Mine reads: "James Gates, a Jehovah's Witness representative from Louisville, Ky. told the Parks Board: 'For a few hundred dollars (in rent) you give up millions (of dollars).' It doesn't seem to me that the Witnesses are hurting for money."

http://208.62.120.191/ecp/local_news/0,1626,ECP_745,00.html

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

For some reason the url address got cut off. You will have to type it in yourself; unless someone can correct it for me. Sorry and thanks.

• Bodhisattva
    Bodhisattva

They should not get a break for being a religious group. They have every right to negotiate for better prices regardless of anything else, and in most cases should be able to get lower-then-maximum pricing for renting multiple times and successive dates.

The god of the dolphins has flippers.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Like mentioned above, anyone can try to get price breaks for anything. Thats how things work. But to expect one just because you are Jehovah's Witnesses, no.

• Faraon
    Faraon

I went there but found nothing to cast my vote. I was going to tell them that there is a difference between for non-profit (which the WT is not) and not for profit. When a governmental institution gives a break to a religious groups, it is going against the constitution by ignoring separation of church and state. Do I smell a lawsuit somewhere?

• ErieGuy
    ErieGuy

Here is the corrected url:

http://208.62.120.191/ecp/local_news/article/0,1626,ECP_745_1375966,00.html

NOTE THAT YOU CAN STILL VOTE IN THE POLL, AS WELL AS ADD YOUR COMMENTS. (Suggest reading previous comments prior to voting and adding your own.)

Edited by - angharad on 14 September 2002 13:27:35

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit