Big arms and a good tan

by Grunt 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Grunt
    Grunt

I used to run a small shop in backwoods Alabama. I had a guy work for me that was vain, shallow and a great hit with the women but he also managed to really impress me with his cut to the chase wisdom sometimes.
    One day a Witness was trying to start a Bible study with him and he said "Naw, I don't think so.
    I think religion is all right as long as you don't make it the big thing in your life." That stuck. I laughed at it but still if I had followed that advice and avoided the fanaticism of the Witnesses I would have dodged a lot of pain.
    At the time I was studying and allowed the pioneers who were up from Miami "serving where the need was great" to hang around the shop and talk to any who wanted to while they worked so they were there a lot. They did their best to hook the muscle man but couldn't do it. Another once asked what he thought the most important things in life were, his reply after stopping and thinking for a while:

"Big arms and a good tan."

I liked it. An achieveable goal and easily measured. He was a success. The Witnesses could never tempt him with their promises of a perfect world. He had it.

Grunt

• waiting
    waiting
    "Big arms and a good tan." - 'bama man

I liked it. An achieveable goal and easily measured. He was a success. - grunt

Yep, and success is a hard thing to turn down. He had acheived his goal in life to that point. lol - perhaps the 'bama man would then go on to yet another acheivable goal. *A positive life outlook".

Gonna email you, Grunt - hope to hear from you!

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 15 October 2002 11:25:9

• butalbee
    butalbee

I like big arms and a good tan.

• LB
    LB

Did he say big boobs and a tan???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit