Rutherfords influence on Church of God (7th Day) and Sacred Name Movement

by oppostate 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oppostate
    oppostate
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Name_Movement
    The Sacred Name Movement arose in the early 20th century out of the Church of God (Seventh Day) movement, following on the preaching and ideas of Joseph Franklin Rutherford who founded Jehovah's Witnesses in 1931 based on his belief in the importance of the Hebrew name of God.[2]
  • Aroq
    Aroq
    if the sacred name was so important, then why did God not tell Abraham, Isaac and Jacob? were they not "true worshipers of God"?
  • dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    I would need some verification of this and suggest that the Wikipedia article may have the facts incorrect. I have a copy of Melton's Encylopedia 1991 version which does not mention Rutherford's name in association with any of the Sacred Name movements. There are definitely some similarities with the Watchtower movement, but the direct connection needs further support.
  • oppostate
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Wikipedia - "...Joseph Franklin Rutherford who founded Jehovah's Witnesses in 1931 based on his belief in the importance of the Hebrew name of God."

Funny.

I was under the impression Rutherford wrested control of and renamed the religion "Jehovah's Witnesses" based on his desire to run the show, drive fancy cars, have mistresses, smuggle moonshine, and live in a luxury mansion.

Shows what I know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit