God, Love, and Marriage vs. WTBTS dogma - when this one scripture is so plain....!

by Muddy Waters 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Got to thinking about this the other day...

You know how the WTS uses a scripture from Ecclesiastes (Ecc.4:12) to say how important it is to have Jehovah in your marriage -- that a two-fold cord is easily broken or pulled apart, but a "three-fold cord is not easily broken". They then go on to define exactly who and what Jehovah is and what exactly this love & marital arrangement means and how you properly show and demonstrate it, and blah blah blah and all the things Jehovah (through his organization) says are so necessary and important for a happy marriage (from their special bias and agenda, the preaching work! - and meeting attendance & preparation, and studying the bible together and the husband taking the lead, and all that JW FILLER which they define and obligate for others to do -- they define every term and behavior and expectation to the nth degree.

Then it occurred to me, that there's that scripture which says: "God is LOVE."

(at this point in my journey, am agnostic/atheist or what-the-hell-ist)

So anyway.... I mean, really. If God is "love", and you have LOVE in your marriage, isn't this really what the scripture is all about??

You don't need all the religious rigamarol and trapping and defining and telling you what to do. Most people know what love means and how you show it. Most people know the right thing to do and how to treat each other with kindness, respect, love, etc. (unless you're a psychopath or have some serious issues & problems!)

I am so through with religion and all of their their pious, limiting, stringent definitions and standards.

Viva la LOVE!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Since JWs have the same divorce rate (See the Pew Poll) as any other religious group, who's falling down on the job? Cord #1, Cord #2, or Cord #3?

Doc

• Divergent
    Divergent
    A threesome marriage... hmm...
  • Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters
    Reminds me of the song, "All you need is love. Love is all you need!"
  • ssn587
    ssn587
    Like a cordless phone, some just have a cordless marriage.
  • Island Man
    Island Man
    "You don't need all the religious rigamarol and trapping and defining and telling you what to do. Most people know what love means and how you show it. Most people know the right thing to do and how to treat each other with kindness, respect, love, etc. (unless you're a psychopath or have some serious issues & problems!)"

The JW response to that would be something like:

"Only Jehovah's people demonstrate true love. The world does not know what true love is because one cannot exhibit true love if he doesn't know and live by Jehovah's righteous standards. There is no true love to be found outside of Jehovah's organization."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit