Religous Trauma Syndrome

by Blind_Of_Lies 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Blind_Of_Lies
    Blind_Of_Lies

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/religious-trauma-syndrome-how-some-organized-religion-leads-to-mental-health-problems/

Check this story out and PLEASE share on social media!

I firmly believe 100% of JW's are suffering from the first stage of RTS and a high percentage of people who are now out are also suffering.

Spread the word.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

When I first read about RTS, maybe a year ago, by this Doctor, it felt like all of my inner feelings and pain were being described. It was amazing to learn that other people feel the same way. Thanks for posting this thread.

• Blind_Of_Lies
    Blind_Of_Lies

You are welcome!

I've thought for a long time that there is a common psychological trauma that most of us born into the cult who also leave the cult later in adulthood all suffer from.

Until today I hadn't heard of RTS but after reading it, I can make list of people still IN the congregations that suffer from the first phase of RTS.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    BOL, interesting read. Thanks for sharing!
  • The_Doctor10
    The_Doctor10

Awesome article! Definitely can categorize a lot of exJWs or current JWs as experiencing symptoms of RTS.

Religion, and especially authoritarian Religion forms beliefs and worldviews for people that inform their entire lives, the belief overtakes their own intuitions forcing people to fit a mold or feel like a failure/outcast.

Like I've said before, talking with a JW can be an incredibly enjoyable experience, they can be the nicest people you talk to, but to dig down to the core of what they believe is going to happen to the world and to those who don't believe the way they do, is to find something truly horrific.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Thanks for sharing!

eyeuse2badub

• Etude
    Etude
    The one thing the article does not address is how the victim lives with the reality of relatives and friends who are still captive and cut off ties. That must account for some angst or guilt. For some people, it`s relatively straight-forward to leave and adapt to a new life quickly. For others, it a hard road.
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    I remember when I first started to investigate the truth and felt deeply hurt by the congregation I stumbled across an article about someting called "shattered faith syndrome" that was very helpful in identifying my feelings as normal after leaving such a restrictive religion. I realized I wasn't crazy after all, oh ok maybe a little bit crazy but only in the fun kinda way.
  • EndofMysteries
  • Blind_Of_Lies
    Blind_Of_Lies
    Please share this article on social media. Its the type of thing that needs to go viral.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit