Revelations monsters and beasts just a retelling of the monsters of Tiamat?

by Crazyguy 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    In my studies I have found that much of the Bible is a retelling of older stories from Babylon, Sumerian, and Egypt. It's starting to look to me as though the writer of the book of Revelations may have used the idea of Tiamat 's monsters as his templet when writing about the beasts in this book. One similarity is the scorpion men or the men depicted as having scorpions tales that will ride around and kill a third of the earth. Tiamat also had scorpion men. As the story goes Marduk kills Tiamat the Dragon and the monsters give up. Jesus does the same in the book of revelations. Your thoughts has anyone else studied this?
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    It's been a hundred years or so but I do remember studying about Marduk and Tiamat. I lost interest in these stories long ago.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    I always thought that Revelation's "beasts" were inspired by Daniel's monsters. I'm sure that the author mined Biblical and non-biblical sources in his writings.
  • Divergent
    Divergent
    It's funny how someone can make stupid shit up and centuries later you have hundreds of millions of people believing these ridiculous writings and claiming to understand how these are prophecies relating to world events!
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Village, it's interesting that you bring up the book of Daniel. There is a chapter or story in Daniel called Bel and the Dragon, it's in the septuigent Bible the earliest writings of the Bible and it's again about a similar story. Of course the Christians took it out of thier newer Bible.
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Watch out for Vengar, he's always trying to kill you. Then Tiamat comes and he runs off. It happens every couple of episodes during "Dungeons and Dragons."

DD

• Lieu
    Lieu

Meh, it's just Mesopotamian symbolism. Everyone in the region in that time would have some idea what you mean from the symbolism ...

Of course we'd think it strange. We're not ancient Mesopotamians nor are we familiar, in general, with anything but "Western" symbolism and points of view.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit