New Tract-Youths What Will You Do With Your Life

by Scarlet 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

I was wondering if any of you have read this tract that was given out at the District Convention .

I found in this tract they are pushing the fulltime ministry more than ever before. They in so many words say if you are not a fulltime minister you are not serving God. It stated that youths today should not strive for academic success. That there is no greater job than being a pioneer. You should not work more than part-time.

One Statement that left me disillusioned was the subheading Qualifying to be a Witness of Jehovah. It states "Dedication involves disowning yourself. You may forsake some personal goals and ambitions and seek first the kingdom of God."

My scanner at home is not working but I will scan in the tract tomorrow when I go to work and post it for everyone.

It just makes me so sad to see how they getting to the young people. I spent the other night crying because my brother who is 18 just informed me he is not going to college because it is not neccessary and will not help him in his life. Then my 15 year old sister who is a honor student and in honors classes told me my mother is removing her from school and putting her in a school where she only has to attend one day a week. I guess she was talking about her dream of being a Zoologist too often for my Mom. It just sadens me to see this happening to my family. After reading this tract I saw where my Mother got her ammunition.

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Anyone else have any experiences or thoughts on the WTS's view of education, career, etc?

• SloBoy
    SloBoy

Just more fodder for " cognitive dissonance ". I know of very few JW's under the age of 40 who aren't married, working full time, having kids, buying homes, new cars; you know, getting a "piece of the pie". I don't object to these things, but it will really work a cummulative whammy on your psyche when you're telling others to forgo these things and in actuality you're neck deep in all this " wordly " stuff. But if you notice, thats the exact condition of most of the "glorious ones" in the congregations today. If there are any young lurkers out there remember, you can be educated AND principled at the same time. Peace.

• In_between_days
    In_between_days

I found in this tract they are pushing the fulltime ministry more than ever before. They in so many words say if you are not a fulltime minister you are not serving God. It stated that youths today should not strive for academic success. That there is no greater job than being a pioneer. You should not work more than part-time.

So this is a recent tract? Not surprising at all. Do you have any direct quotes to share with us from the tract? I have commented on this issue many times. I was wondering how long it was going to take for the society to crack back down on higher education.

Over the last 5 years (in AUS anyway) JW youths were no longer really discouraged from higher education, in fact, completion of high schoool was encouraged. Lots of my peers went to uni and college, and are just finishing their degrees. As a result, they are basicaly alot smarter than the JW's from the generation before.

Now back comes the "Fulltime ministry" rubbish. Why?

Because young ones are becoming too educated at uni, that's why. Because uni also comes with free access to the internet anytime you want. And we all know what that leads to. LOL

• dmouse
    dmouse

I have read the tract Scarlet, and I agree that it is so sad.

I have found that the stand the WBTS take on further education is shocking to people 'in the world', and rightly so. The old men at the top who make the rules just don't care how many young lives they screw as long as they have a continuingly replenished power-base of young blood.

The congregations are full of 'could-have-beens' - how often have you heard adult JWs saying that, in their youth, they had a special talent which they never followed up because they sacrificed it for the 'truth'.? Their mouths say they have no regrets but their eyes say otherwise, eyes hollow with fear that they have wasted the only life they will ever have. But fear of facing the truth prevents them from breaking free and they just drag more victims to this slow death.

The Society is systematically destroying the ability of their children to make a future for themselves and replacing it with empty promises.

'Sad' is too small a word to describe the situation, like saying the Jewish holocaust was 'sad'.

The Governing Body are nothing but vampires, draining the life-blood from our children and creating new vampires to spread their evil plague across the globe.

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

Now it seems they are reverting back to the previous stance of discouraging college and university education. I thought they relaxed that stance a little bit, I guess I thought wrong.

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

Once again, they have reverted on another decision. It must be because those new college grads were fleeing the organization like bats out of hell. When I finally left, the first thing I did was get my backside into a college classroom - probably one of the best decisions I've ever made in my entire life.

• minimus
    minimus

One thing the Society does well: send out mixed messages. One publication will say college can be o.k. Another says WHY would you WANT to go??? This way they can tell the world that we don't discourage education, when in fact they really do.

• metatron
    metatron

Events are moving faster than Watchtower propaganda

Since they are downsizing Bethel, that career is largely gone.
    As for pushing pioneering, they have to because Witness kids
    are leaving/getting df'd/ or just quietly going 'materialistic'
    like everyone else.

Their survival completely depends on ignorance and blindness.
    Hence, they MUST discourage education.

metatron

• Lin
    Lin

None of it surprises me at all. They loosened up for awhile, not when I needed it though, and now they're apparently pulling back on it again. I remember reading Ray Franz 3rd edition where he mentioned convention talks about not getting married, not having any children, working as little as possible, and spending every moment possible in field service. It loosened up some several years ago, but now they're going back to the old way again. Yawn....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit