Do You Still Read Terrorist Thrillers?

by comment 6 Replies latest social entertainment

• comment
    comment

I was sorting through my bookshelves today and noticed that I had quite a few terrorist thrillers.

That is, books like The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth, Black Sunday by Thomas Harris, The Fifth Horseman by Larry Collins and Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy.

I'm wondering how other people feel. Do you still read those books? Or do you feel uncomfortable with them in the wake of the September 11 terrorist attacks?

Personally, I'd still be open to reading them, because I recognize the disconnect between fiction and reality, and I've never felt that I take a gratuitous pleasure in destruction or death. I'm more into the adventure aspect of those books.

I would guess there'd be a range of responses. Some people might give up on the genre entirely; others might continue to read but feel guilty about enjoying it; still others might only read their old thrillers, not newly published ones.

How about you?

comment

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Do You Still Read Terrorist Thrillers?

No. I've cut down on my Bible-reading lately.

Farkel

• comment
    comment

Well, I must admit I read The Baal Intervention and Escape from Egypt a few too many times myself thanks to the good ol' Theocratic Ministry School.

comment

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

LOL@ Farkel

I prefer mysteries (esp. Agatha Christie's), but I would give it a try.

• comment
    comment

One thing about Agatha, she was never too big on Islamic militants, if memory serves!

comment

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Anything that paints Islamics with a broad brush, making them out to be unwashed creeps ever praying and acting on a desire to kill all infidels, is a good read, in my book. I was first turned on to this genre by the Koran.

• comment
    comment

See, some of those books fit that mold, SixofNine, but others have a little more sophistication in their psychological profiling. I think Black Sunday is a good example. It really got into the thought process of the Palestinian terrorist, not just settling for "slay the evil infidel."

comment

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit