Survey result: JW views on Homosexuality

by Max Divergent 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

Were you more liberal that your JW peers?

A 2001 survey asked for a response to the statement: "I believe homosexuality is immoral". Based on the religion of the respondents, it found that found that 84% of JWs responded 'Yes', compared to 20% of Jews, 30% of 'No religion', and 48% of Americans and 36% of Australians overall. JW and Mormons (83%) had the strongest belief that homosexuality was immoral.

The point is that if you had a more liberal view on that question to 84% of your JW peers, you really didn't fit in as a Witness, and you probably had a whole bunch of other divergent views too. So, it's just as well you're out isn't it!!

Source is the reputable Roy Morgan: http://www.roymorgan.com.au/international/pressreleases/2001/article19.html

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

Very interesting stuff - this would mean that nearly 1 million of the 6 million active publishers
    have views that are widely divergent from WTS policy. That is a huge crack in the notion of
    "monolithic" support for published policy in the organization. I'd be willing to be that a similar
    survey would reveal divergent views on many issues. This is precisely why physicians should
    not assume that a JW will refuse a medically necessary blood transfusion just because they
    are unconsious and have an outdated advance directive or JW relativces insisting that they
    not receive blood or a blood product that might at present be prohibited by WTS polilcy.

Lee

• gumby
    gumby

48% of Americans

Of Americans or Christians? Do you have stats on Catholics/Protestants (christians) ?

I personally was a Organisation man and questioned but didn't pursue any doubts.

I still see this" practice"....as wrong. To be inclined that way ..it seems....cannot be helped.

• Matty
    Matty

At the end of the day don't most christian religions teach that homosexuality is immoral? It's there in the bible - in black and white, no ducking the issue. It's just that Jehovahs Witnesses are much more compliant to the rule of their church, even more than other high-control religions such as Mormons.

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Interesting post. I remember listening to two teenage sisters give their #4 Talk on Thursday night in the late 70s, talking between themselves sharing scriptures condemning homosexuality. I was confused about my orientation; I had talked the talk condemning gays and "believed" it, but these girls talking about sex between men as being horrible, seemed so absurd. I thought there was something wrong with this picture but I didn't understand what. It took me another 8 years before I understood.

Edited by - morrisamb on 28 July 2002 14:12:29

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Actually no, I don't think the bible specifically calls homosexuality "immoral".

I think the bible orders the killing of anyone who engages in homosexuality, but then again, the bible suggest killing people for no other sin than being 'Not Hebrew'.

• gumby
    gumby

the bible suggest killing people for no other sin than being 'Not Hebrew'.

I personally like the one about stoning your wife or son or daughter......if they worshipped another God. Why didn't he just consume them in fire like the other stories. Make you throw rocks at you kids or your wife you love until they were dead..........wow...................don't think I would have fit in.......................then they could stone me.

Seems a little hard to swallow. (sorry for rabbitracking off the subject)

Edited by - Gumby on 28 July 2002 14:24:19

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

Hi - Justa quick reply to some of the major points: 
    1. The stats for other faiths is at the link. 
    2. Even though the bible read litrally says what it says, many religious people don't take the bible literally and wouldn't conclude that makes homosexuality immoral in the 21st Century, although JW's do. Ture enough, this makes them more complient with the written word that other faiths, but many would argue that formal compliance with the written word dosn't make them more Christian or more moral than people who take a less literal approach to it. 3. Yeah, I guess 16% didn't tow the party line! Could be some polling irregularities in there, but it's still a lot. Thanks for your comments. Cheers, Max of the Divergent class
  • QUEENIE
    QUEENIE

I frankly do not give a tinkers damn on the subject ALL I CARE ABOUT IS WHO I SLEEP WITH and I sleep with ME in a twin bed -- fits me just fine !!! QUEENIE

• kat7302
    kat7302

I do feel for the ones in the 'truth' tho that have sacrificed their sexuality and may never know what its like to be with a partner in a loving way. I have no problem with peoples sexuality and I know a couple of brothers who left and are now gay, they are very happy and I just wonder how happy theyd really be if they remained in the JW's and denied themselves what their nature told them was right.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit