What does it take to be chosen?

by Dia 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Dia
    Dia

I've always wondered, what does it take to be 'selected' to be an elder?

Obviously, some of you were elders. What would you say? What were they looking for when they made decisions to fill this position?

• Amazing
    Amazing

Ostensibly, they look for the qualities and behavour detailed in Titus and Timothy. In reality we followed this:

TWELVE STEPS TO BECOME A JW ELDER !!!

1. Field Service no less than the congregation average, but preferrably well in excess.

2. Consistent, regular meeting attendance.

3. Commenting at meetings regularly.

4. Being able to give a half-way decent talk (not always required)

5. While not spoken, physical appearance and normal behavour we factored in. In other words no ugly or weird acting guys.

6. Fitting in comfortably with the core of the congregation - not a nerd.

7. Often, but not always, it was good if the prospective Elder is married, and has a couple of children.

8. While no exact age requirement was specified, it was good if the prospect was about 30 or older.

9. Puts on a good show when the CO visits ... being viewed as a political asset rather than a liability.

10. Not having any recent blemished record (serious sins within a couple of years).

11. Shows up to help out when there are special events, like remodel construction, cleaning, etc.

12. Being reliable MS, showing up on time, and doing their job without having their hand held.

And, once appointed, you could relax on the above with slack Field Service and meeting attendance, and appearance, except when the CO or DO visits.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Amazing you left out the unwritten 13th step

#13. You must be good buddies with the P.O.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

#14 - Male

Regards,

Jim TX

P.S. Actually - #7 - I know of a case locally where they dictated to a fella that he get married before they would consider him fer the position - or was it having the kids? In any event - they dictated to him the requirements - which he followed.

It's ironic - cause it's enuf to cause one to be quite confused... they preach being single and pioneering in one breath, and then say you ain't going anywhere (in the organization) iffn you ain't married with children - in another breath. Go figure.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

It just oes to show you how the society viewd women.

I remember being married was a requirement for certain positions and the reasons that were told to me were so that the elder PO CO DO whatever would not he distracted with thoughts of the flesh. That by being married, this would help him to stay focused on the spiritual needs of the congergations and not bothered with getting horny and having no relief.

I remember as a kid this seemed to make perfect sense to me and it still is logical but until I grew up I didn't see just how degrading that frame of mind is to be handing down to the spiritual feeders of the congergations.

What women are for.

#1 to keep elders from getting horney so they can focus on important stuff.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

For the short time I was in, I was told a few times I was going to make a good elder. Looking back, I knew I would never meet the most important criteria. I don't kiss anybody's a**

Lew W

Watchtower Decruit

• Carmel
    Carmel

plmcrzy, you nailed it! I've always wondered why women, intelligent ones at that, ever accept the forthclass citizenship that the Borg offers. Funny thing, being married still doesn't seem to stop JUU men from being peodiphiles and adulterers.

the horney caveman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit