Trapped Miners Still Signalling...!!!

by dungbeetle 1 Replies latest jw friends

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=519&ncid=716&e=6&u=/ap/20020725/ap_on_re_us/mine_accident

Encouraged by a tinny tapping sound coming up from the depths, rescuers brought in a huge drill Thursday in a race to save nine coal miners trapped 240 feet underground in a dark shaft filling up quickly with millions of gallons of frigid water.

Crews pumped air into the 4-foot-high chamber where the men were believed to be, hoping it would buy them enough time to drill a large hole and pull survivors out of the mine 55 miles southeast of Pittsburgh.

It was unknown how high the water was in the shaft, but officials said the cold water was rushing past them as they huddled in the dark. Between the water and an air temperature of no more than 60 degrees, rescuers feared the men could suffer hypothermia before they were rescued.

David Sbaffoni of the state Bureau of Deep Mine Safety said the men were probably sitting in the cramped space, their lamps long since gone out.

"It's probably wet, cold and dark," he said. "Coal miners are a special breed. If anybody can get through it, a coal miner can."

Another crew of miners warned by radio by the men who were trapped managed to wade to safety in water up to their necks, authorities said.

These men anad their families will be in my prayers tonight.

• FreeRangeChicken
    FreeRangeChicken

ooh. how awful. i get claustrophobic in elevators. my heart goes out to those men.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit