Post Dateline

by ignored_one 7 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

So. This I suppose is to those who are still "in". What sort of response have you had in the field ministry? I've just informed a friend of mine about the Panorama program and asked about Dateline. I got the typical JW "it was all apostate" although they'd hadn't seen it. Anyway, they said they'd not had anyone ask them about it on the ministry.

Thoughts?

Ignored One.

• SwordOfJah
    SwordOfJah

I am out in service alot and I have not ran into anyone that asked about the Dateline show.
    One of my bible studies did watch it and asked what our policy was, I explained in details 
    how abusers and all unrepentent sinners and handled, and he was satisfied. No problem at all.
    Some of the friends in the congregation did talk about during that week, but nothing since.

Just some insight from the inside.
  • MrSlate
    MrSlate

Nothing about the law being involved? Just the old "unrepentant sinner" song and dance? Doesn't it bug you?

• ItsJustlittleoldme
    ItsJustlittleoldme

Hi Sword,

Please define "unrepentant sinner".. Is that the molestor or the victim you are talking about?

If the victim comes out and says that s/he was molested, but does NOT have 2 witnesses, and the accused molestor claims he is not guilty of such crime, is a thourough investigation performed? Or does the victim then become the 'unrepentant sinner' for supposidly making a flase witness against another Christian?

Please, sword, answer these questions for us!!!

If no investigation is performed, then how do you know who is actually telling the truth? If multiple people come forward stating that they were molested individually by an accused molestor, yet each time there was no witness (duh, like a molestor is gonna have a witness), but for round numbers, let's say, that there are 17 people to claim to have been molested, yet the molestor denies every instance, is there an investigation (real, not just we asked, and he said no) or are there now 17 people who are told not to make false witness against someone?

If you have children in the congregation, and someone has been accused (by a witness child) of being molested by brother X, and brother X denies it, do YOU feel comfortable leaving your child with brother X without first knowing that indeed a real and fair investigation was done that exhonerated brother X from any wrong doing, other than his own word? For that matter, even if brother X is proven to have committed pedophilia, but repents, are you even told of his crime so you can protect your children appropriatly? After all, it is the WTBTS's repsonsiblity to protect the flock, and your responsibility to protect your children.. Do you consider allowing your child to mingle with a child molestor protecting that child to the best of your ability?

• truman
    truman

I just had a conversation with an active, zealous witness, the sister who studied with me years ago. She does not know of my dissident leanings, as she lives in another state. I asked her if there had been any fallout from the 'Dateline' report in her area. She said that there had been only one comment from someone out in the territory, and nothing to serious anyway.

She has worked the whole thing around in her mind until she has completely discredited it to herself. It was interesting to hear the mental musings which enabled her to get to that point. Here are some of her justifications for discounting the charges against the WTS:

* The Catholic church has had some report about their scandal on repeatedly in every media outlet, therefore indicating a massive problem. There was only this one thing sbout the witnesses, so I guess she thought it was a small enough problem to brush off.

* When the Catholic story was covered on '60 Minutes', Ed Bradley, a major reporter, handled it. The report on 'Dateline" about the WTS was handled by a reporter she never heard of, so therefore that meant it was a minor story handed off to some lower eschalon person to give them experience in national reporting!

*Some Bethelites she knew said that they thought the story of Barbara Anderson having access to sensitive files at Bethel sounded suspicious, because sisters don't have such access. (Her belief)

* She said that the story was a little scary at first, but after the letter the elders read at the KH, and after she had time to think it over, she decided that the whole thing seemed less than credible, and some of the information was to her a little suspect.

This person is intelligent, and is a college graduate, but mind control is a powerful thing. She also told me that her Bethelite friends said that every morning at breakfast comment time (whatever it is called) the anointed (GB) say "THE END IS VERY NEAR". What a way to motivate people!

truman

• myself
    myself

The end is near? Is it time to get out our look alike tennis shoes and lay on the floor and..........never mind that was another cult.

• fodeja
    fodeja

Here's something I just found (not sure if this has been posted yet), a JW's response to the Dateline programme:

http://www.kevinsblog.com/chadness/archives/000521.htm

Edited by - fodeja on 10 July 2002 8:19:42

• outnfree
    outnfree

Yes, Klaus, a response, but he hadn't even SEEN the program! Of course, he reacted just as any good Dubby would do...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit