CALGARY TRANSFUSIONS CONTINUE

by deddaisy 1 Replies latest watchtower medical

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

I didn't see these articles posted, I apologize if I missed them......Looks like the case has been delayed until October, so the Calgary girl's transfusions will be complete by then ! (second article)... The first article has some interesting comments........notice "...defend their faith..." I thought it was a sixteen year old's life that is at stake, not "their" faith.............I can't help but wonder what the "ruling" would be if neither parent were a Witness......would the WTS go to court against NON-JW parents of a minor that got baptized......that'd be good PR....

Calgary Herald

June 19, 2002 Wednesday Final Edition

HEADLINE: Jehovah's Witnesses to be represented in case

BYLINE: Kerry Williamson

BODY:
    A family court judge reiterated Tuesday that the Jehovah's Witnesses faith will not be on trial in the case of a Calgary girl
    undergoing blood transfusions against her will, despite allowing the church to play a role in the hearing.

Judge Alberta Vickery ruled that Calgary's 4,000 Jehovah's Witnesses will be represented in the case of "Mia" -- the
    16-year-old can't be identified -- against the protestations of her father and the province's director of child welfare. The
    province is seeking to extend a temporary custody order until Mia's life-saving chemotherapy and blood treatments are
    complete. Mia and her mother -- both Jehovah's Witnesses -- oppose the treatment because it goes against their faith and
    beliefs.

Jehovah's Witnesses oppose the use of blood products in medical treatment. Mia, who suffers from a severe type of acute
    myeloid leukemia, has undergone 33 transfusions since February.

Lawyer Daniel Pole, from Orangeville, Ont., said his clients -- Calgary-based Jehovah's Witnesses -- should be party to the
    proceedings so they can defend their faith.

He said his clients are concerned that three "disgruntled" witnesses involved in the faith will be called by Mia's father to give
    evidence the church feels could degrade their beliefs.

Vickery said Pole can make representations but will not be allowed to call or cross-examine witnesses.

"I am going to control this in such a way that they will only be heard when it's appropriate. I want simply to hear what the
    church feels a witness may have said is wrong and is detrimental to them," the judge said.

"I don't want to make a trial about religion. A religion has nothing to do with this trial."

(emphasis added)

______________________________________________________________________________

Calgary Herald

June 25, 2002 Tuesday Final Edition

HEADLINE: Transfusion case delayed until October

SOURCE: Calgary Herald

BYLINE: Kerry Williamson

BODY:
    A Calgary teen so adamantly opposed to blood transfusions that she tried to pull the intravenous tubes from her arms will
    undergo the treatment against her will for at least four more months

Mia -- she can't be identified by her real name -- suffers from acute myeloid leukemia and has had almost 40 blood
    transfusions since February.

A Jehovah's Witness, she strongly opposes blood transfusions. She is a ward of Child Welfare, which is forcing her to
    continue the treatments. Family court Judge Alberta Vickery adjourned Monday a custody battle between the province and
    the girl's mother until October, at which time the teenager's chemotherapy treatment should be complete.

Speaking at the hearing, Mia's mother compared the province's decision to force transfusions on her daughter to the
    persecution of Jehovah's Witnesses during the Second World War.

She broke down when speaking of how the transfusions had affected her daughter, saying Mia had even tried to pull the IV
    tubes from her arms while in hospital.

"I would hope that this court would reflect that (Mia) has the right to make her own medical decisions as a young person and
    that they would accept her choices and what she decides for herself," the mother said.

The mother rejected accusations she had tried to tamper with Mia's medical equipment, and said she would support her
    daughter even if she consented to the transfusions.

"While blood transfusions deeply disturb me, I would never interfere or tamper with any of (Mia's) intravenous lines. I would
    never do that. I love my daughter," she said.

The mother said the transfusions had hurt her daughter emotionally.

"She used to be a very outgoing young woman, and although we are not allowed to discuss blood transfusions, I have noticed
    (Mia) has become much quieter, more withdrawn and, afterwards, I can also tell how upset she is," she said.

David Gnam, Mia's lawyer, said the teen will be upset by the adjournment of the case and the continuation of transfusions, but
    realizes the judicial process takes time.

"Mia knows that this is a serious issue and that there is not enough time at this hearing for all the evidence to be heard, but at
    the same time each blood transfusion, in her mind, is an assault on her," he said.

The adjournment, until Oct. 15, pleased Mia's father, who supports his daughter being a ward of the province

"(Mia) should be finished her treatment before court reconvenes. It takes the stress off her," he said.

"All I care about is that (Mia) gets her treatment. I'm sure she will be happy. I think we are all tired of going to court."

Edited by - deddaisy on 28 June 2002 13:47:15

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

From the Supreme Court of Canada

Latest update on the FIRST Hughes case is found by clicking on this url:

http://209.47.227.134/scripts/hsrun.hse/haht51/SCC_CASE/SCC_CASE.htx;start=HS_scc_case?lang=0

and then typing in the case number 29174. Then, when the window comes up, click on the number "29174" to access the case history.

This case was being decided by 3 supreme court judges to determine if the full supreme court would be hearing the appeal or not (the process is called "leave to appeal").

However, according to the case history, on June 26, 2002, B.H. (Larry Hughes daughter) has submitted the following from her lawyers (aka the WTS lawyers).

Correspondence received from, D. Day dated June 26, 2002 (fax copy) re: significant judicial and related developments occured in Alberta; will apprise the Court of these developments no later than July 3, 2002 (sent to the judges on June 27, 2002)

Looks like the Witness lawyers are trying to ram more crap at the Supreme court that will cause the lawyers for the other side to respond and on and on. What a waste of money. But the delay will help MIA (aka B.Hughes) to get her treatment.

hawk

Edited by - hawkaw on 28 June 2002 14:5:41

Edited by - hawkaw on 28 June 2002 14:7:3

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit