WTS Publications NOT printed on re-cycled paper?

by YoursChelbie 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

Maybe it's just my observation, but WTS magazines and books are not printed on re-cycled paper.

Can this be proven to be true? Do any Ex-Bethelite know this for a fact?

Are trees being cut down to print WTS books? Doesn't that contribute to global warming?

Does not the cutting down of trees raise the ozone to dangerous levels?

Is the WTS disregarding the Bible warning: "[God will] bring to ruin those ruining the Earth." Rev.11:18 ????

Edited by - YoursChelbie on 23 June 2002 11:21:22

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I remember asking someone about this along time ago and was told recycled paper rips more easily in the presses and they can't run them at the higher speeds.

I'm not sure if that is true or not but that is what i remember being told.

Path

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'm not sure I would fault the WTS for not using recycled paper for the following reasons:

Recycled paper is more problematic than virgin paper, and the higher the recycled content of the paper, the more problematic it becomes. Premium paper has a high percentage of long fibers in it, and these long fibers provide the strength of the paper. When paper is recycled, the fibers get shorter and shorter, eventually becoming similar to felt or dryer lint, and the paper becomes weaker.

Recycled paper is not less expensive than virgin paper, especially when you consider the costs of lost production time due to "paper problems."

Lastly, is it reasonable to think that any religious organization would want to put the word of god onto recycled paper?

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 23 June 2002 12:10:5

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 23 June 2002 12:11:55

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I wonder how many forrests are cut down on a yearly basis so WBTS can print the same old crap over and over?...OUTLAW

• termite 35
    termite 35

I remember asking an Elder this a long time ago and he replied that the reason for this was that the quality was'nt good enough; (and that it did'nt matter anyway as Jehovah understood, and he would restore an earthly...blah,blah...........)

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Look. It doesn't matter if they are - or are not using 'recycled paper'.

Everyone knows that Jehovah can just 'snap' his fingers and restore the earth to a paradisaic condition - complete with forests.

Oh - that's right - those forests need to be cleared anyway to house - and provide land - for all of those resurrected ones, anyway.

So - what're ya complaining about? The WTBTS - since they're gettin their info straight from God's mouth... can do no wrong.

You can see this attitude in many of the JWs, too.

I know - when I was still married, there was a recycle effort locally for a while. The city left a plastic tub for plastics and cans.

We tried to oblige the city by putting out the recyclables... however, my ex-wifes' JW sister - she used the green tub for a toybox for the kids. She never did find the need to recycle.

I noticed many JWs with that same attitude. They have been 'pre-conditioned' to feel that their Jehovah will wave a magic wand and restore the earth to a paradise beauty.

I think they may have forgotten that it is THEY that are supposed to 'work' the earth back to this condition... but maybe there has been 'new light' on this since I left 20+ years ago.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Matty
    Matty

The paper they use for the Watchtower and Awake is just great. Much better than Andrex.

• SoulJah
    SoulJah

EVEN BETTER, TRY TO CONVINCE THEM TO PRINT ON HEMP FIBER [STRONGEST FIBER ON THE PLANET]. OH, THAT'S RIGHT, DEMONS LIVE INSIDE OF THE CANNABIS PLANT. HEY, BUT IT DOES MATURE QUICKER THAN TREES

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

*** g90 2/8 30 From Our Readers ***
    Recycled Paper Your issue of September 8, 1989, page 29, contained an interesting item on the recycling of paper, through which the ever-increasing pollution of our environment can be held in check. Yet, neither The Watchtower nor Awake! is printed on recycled paper. Whoever promotes certain standards but at the same time behaves in contradiction of them can only be designated a hypocrite.
    F. S., Federal Republic of Germany

Recycled paper of either suitable quality or sufficient quantity to suit our large-scale printing operation is presently unavailable. Since recycled paper is also up to 20 percent more expensive than paper made from virgin fiber, it will no doubt be some time before it is commonly used for production printing. Nevertheless, where possible, waste paper from our printeries is sold for recycling. And substantial quantities of recycled materials are also used in the production of covers for our hardbound publications.ED.

Edited by - GermanJW on 23 June 2002 14:8:40

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit