More Buddhists than baptists (and Jws)

by singsongboi 3 Replies latest jw friends

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

the results of australia's last census were released yesterday:

the figures indicated a continuing decline in bible based religions, especially the anglicans and the Uniting church.

And most spectacular was the growth of those who said they were buddhists. At the last census (1996) just under 200,000 identified as buddhists.

Now, 360,000 say they follow buddha compared to 310,000 who claim to be baptists.

and interestingly, there were 83,993 jews, which contrasts with 95,473 hindus.

Islam had 281,578 followers.

The jws- well! there were lumped together in "Other religious Groups" numbering 87,145.

So the fastest growing religion in Australia -- NOT dub city -- but buddhism.

Makes Australia a pretty good place I reckon.

• beckyboop
    beckyboop

Hi Singsongboi,

I would have to agree--I'm sure that Buddhism would make Australia a pretty good place (much better than a bunch of jw's!). I'd love to see how it affects crime rates and the general empathic feeling towards one another. Their whole philosophy towards life and the way we treat others leaves much to be desired amongst most religions. I can't wait to visit someday!

Becky

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

hey sing - was the census conducted before the internet-spread 'register your religion as a jedi-knight' campaign that was successful here in the uk ?

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

alliwannadoislive -- yup!! many registered that too, in the OZ census...

the "campaign" got a lot of publicity pre-census and brought forth a "severe" warning from a govt. official (no sense of humour in govt. officials or elders)....

apparently "jedi knights" has apparently been included in the other religious groups category - which numbered 87,145.

but i think that many just got pissed and said something stupid, as a category called "inadequately described" jumped from 54,000 in 1996 to 350,000 in 2001. (tho this number may have something to do with the computerised handwriting recognition system)

or maybe just said "no religion", as that category shows 2,905,993 australians do not want to be called religious or at least adherents of formal religions

and becky,

the Sydney Morning Herald gave a lot of space to the rise in buddhist adherents - a baptist minister blamed it on the paedophile problem in the churches, but also commented (more meaningfully, i think ) that buddhism - at least in OZ - did not have a heavy institutional framework and was therefore more personal and less collective. ( i am sure that would appeal to many)

I think the buddhist's PR people ran with this a bit too, as there was a 'nice" experience (been a bit suspicious of these since jw days) of a guy who changed his life, from being a "bad tempered" truck driver to a "good tempered" truck driver.

he did make a sensible point tho, saying..."Buddhism is about taking responsibility for youself. You are your own savious, rather than looking for a saviour in god".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit