guardian newspaper (re.dateline)

by Blackcat 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Blackcat
    Blackcat

Sect demands biblical proof

Stephen Bates, religious affairs correspondent
    Guardian

Monday June 10, 2002

Elders of the Jehovah's Witnesses in the US have been given instructions to deal with paedophiles after a series of damaging revelations.

But its critics say that the sect's decision to accept accusations only if the abuse has two independent witnesses is unlikely to solve the problem.

The Watch Tower, its headquarters in Brooklyn, is used to implicit obedience and is struggling to regain its battered authority.

In a letter to be read at services, it says: "We abhor the sexual abuse of children and will not protect any perpetra tor of such repugnant acts ...

"However, we must bear in mind the Bible's clear direction: 'No single witness should rise up against a man respecting any error or any sin. At the mouth of two witnesses or at the mouth of three witnesses the matter should stand good (Deuteronomy 19:15)."

The church, which has 6 million members around the world, has been convulsed by the revelation that its elders have protected sex offenders, refused to report accusations to the police, and even punished children and families making accusations.

Two members have been charged with "disrupting the unity of the congregation" and "undermining confidence in Jehovah's arrangement" for repeating their accusations on an NBC television programme.

Barbara Anderson, a former headquarters employee who claimed to have seen hundreds of suppressed files of accusations, was expelled after a private hearing held in her absence. The case against the second, Bill Bowen, a Kentucky elder, has been postponed.

Mr Bowen was so alarmed by the suppression of allegations that he created a website, silentlambs.org, to investigate the scale of the problem.

He told NBC: "It's a paedophile's paradise within the organisation. I believe that. I believe it with all my heart."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4430293,00.html

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

Thank you Blackcat for posting this - and thanks to Stephen Bates, good to see the information finally hitting the British press, we seem to be slightly sheltered from the fallout of Dateline over here, I suspect the average British JW would see it as a purely American problem - 'not in our back yard' sort of thing.

Hopefully this will encourage a bit more interest over here in the press and it will be brought to a wider audience which should make their door to door ministry somewhat more awkward.....

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Blackcat,

thanks for giving us this precious information.

Stephen Bates again, is doing an excellent job,

to publicize this kind "of stuff " in Europe.

I'll e-mail him personally. After writing about the

U.N. affais and the WBTS Inc., here we go again...!

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

• termite 35
    termite 35

Thanks Blackcat- Here's hoping the article will not only be read by many in the congs...but also won't be forgotten by the public,who'll bring it up on the ministry;I hope the vague answers they receive due to the witnesses lack of knowledge on the whole situation will get them a reputation similar to that of the Catholic clergy...

• ISP
    ISP

LOL Ozzie........Simon Bates is like another dude!

ISP

• Simon
    Simon

Until I put a proper fix in, you can use this: http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/topics/urlencoding.htm

... which will convert the link into a proper encoded, clickable one:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0%2C4273%2C4430293%2C00.html

Edited by - Simon on 13 June 2002 3:9:33

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

ISP,

Yeah, OK, a freudian slip, perhaps? Just for you, STEPHEN Bates. Of course, Simon IS one of the good guys too!

Ozzie (of the truth in advertising class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit