Running into a JW on a mission

by Illuminated 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• Illuminated
    Illuminated

I was walking in an empty area of a main street recently when I noticed an elderly woman with stacks of magazines headed towards my direction looking as though she's on a mission. She drew closer to me, and made eye contact. Then it hit me - she's a Watchtower member. At that moment she was about stop me and hand over a magazine, when I said in our native language "Are you a Jehovah Witness". She responded by saying, "Oh you're from my country... YES, yes, I'm a Jehovah's Witness, how do you know?".

Who wouldn't know? The two main well known cults handing out destructive mind control cult publications are Jehovah's Witness's and Scientologist (not sure if they still do).

I was compelled to talk to this friendly elderly lady for a little bit and pass on information that would hopefully sink in. I'm generally pretty tuned into people/vibes and could sense she was a good person. I had this urge of compassion, instead of anger towards her for being on board with a dangerous cult that condones harmful sexual abuse among children and has destroyed their adult lives. I wanted to give her a hug, and protect her. I quickly realized everything confirmed here on this board.

Our conversation went along like this:

Me: Well, I knew you're a JW because of the magazines. Plus, the man I've been involved with was raised one

Her: Oh you're married to him!

Me: No we're not married. He was raised a JW, parents are JW, father an elder at one point. He was sexually abused by a JW man as a child who's still in good standing

Her: What a disgusting person. Good thing he's kicked out

Me: He's still in good standing actually. Has never been kicked out due to the crime he committed and my SO was threatened for slander if he warned other parents. In fact, are you aware of the 2 Witness policy? (I explained it all to her as she wasn't aware)

Her: No you must be talking about another religion. Jehovah's people don't do such things.

Me: I'm talking about Jehovah's Witnesses. I'm aware there are many kind, good hearted people in the organization such as yourself. It is people like you who don't realize the reality of what's taking place by the leaders who run everything. Yet, there are many awful things taking place. Systematic sexual abuse cases, money problems, misquoted and taken out of context information relayed to it's members such as yourself, along with a whole foundation including of false prophesies.

Her: Yes, they're in New York. You must be mistaking Jehovah's people for other religions. Other religions have that happen not us.

Me: I know it's hard to believe, especially when all you see is a certain image you're use to. There are two sides to a coin, my SO was horribly abused sexually and has suffered a life long battle emotionally because of it. His case isn't isolated. There are many many cases. Please look it up.

(She mentioned how horrible and disgusting that was while showing compassion and sympathy, then quickly reverting back to being in denial that such things in the organization would occur)

Me: When did you become a JW? Do you have children, are they JW's?

Her: 16 years ago. Yes, I have children, and grandchildren (I could tell they were her joy). They are not JW's.

Me: So how would you know about your religion's foundation if you became one 16 years ago, and your leaders only allow you to research information they tell you to?

Her: They aren't true. They're made to stir people away from Jehovah.

(She then opens up the magazine and excitingly points to an article which was in my native language which I can't read. She explained the "end times". I noticed she was carrying about 15-20 magazines in her hand and a wallet. I'm Agnostic, yet found it interesting and confirming she wasn't carrying a Bible).

Me: You said your faith is based on the Bible, how come you don't have a Bible on you?

Her: The magazines are created to make it easier for anyone to understand the Bible. I can't carry and pass out a bunch of Bibles, the magazines are easier to pass.

Me: When you get home, read Deuteronomy 18-22 (told her what it's about).

Her: Yes you know about that!! How do you know so much? That's a warning against Christendom.

Me: Actually, the leaders of your organization have predicted numerous false prophesies. Read Deuteronomy 18-22 when you get home, then have your children look up old magazines on the internet. It'll confirm what I'm trying to relay to you.

Her: It's false information to stir people away (repeats it again).

Me: They're copies of the same publication you are holding from the past. You will be able to tell if it's false or not, besides, don't you think the men in New York who lead all of this would be able to legally stop it somehow if it was slander?

Her: (ponders and nods her head)

Me: I 'd love to stand here and talk to you more, but I have to go to school

Her: Oh what are you studying?

(I mentioned it and her eyes lit up a bit)

Me: Have a lovely day and I wish you all the best

Her: You're a good kid. Have a nice day

It was interesting to observe her pondering, yet repeatedly slipping back into denial over what the cult is capable of. How would you suggest people who were never JW's handle interactions with JW's? I was probably feeding her indoctrination of "worldly people being misled".

• steve2
    steve2

To be fair to this woman, though, she was listening to this for the first time and, would have to take you at your honest word regarding the organization's tolerance of sexual abuse. That's a biggie, if ever there were one. A pity she wasn't given some written info - or links - to look into this further.

I like the way you kept the exchange civil and courteous!

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Lovely way to talk to someone in her situation. She now has things to think about when she reads press reports about the Org's paedophile cases.

It's a J.W's DEF CON 1 status - immediately deny and ridicule any statement which derides the Org!

Never will they ask to see the evidence or wish to discuss the matter further - because it must be from "apostates".

The satisfying thing is that the Org's chariot is now so out of control and accelerating, (as evidenced in virtually every publication or broadcast being churned out by the self-publicising G.B.) that the numbers of J.W.'s bewildered by the speed & severity of everything, are also increasing rapidly!

Once the Org starts shutting down and selling off 'uneconomic' K.H.'s, ["for Kingdom interests"] then things will get really interesting!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Well, her reaction is what I would expect. I probably would have reacted the same when I was in the cult.

Steve and Searcher - I agree with you both. Good points.

Whether it will set her thinking or not is another matter.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    I'm glad at the tone you took. I hope she is a bit curious.
  • Illuminated
    Illuminated

It was interesting as I could tell by her facial expressions and eyes that she was disturbed, yet struggling to make sense out of it all, so she'd eventually revert back to stating I was mistaking them for other religions.

I recall her expressing they are good people wanting to carry out God's will and I'd reassure her that many of them have good intentions, yet kept taking it back to the leaders.

What's a shame is that she's from the old country, elderly, and doesn't know how to use a computer, let alone read in English which narrows it down and keeps people like her stuck in... Perhaps that could be why many of the older members are stuck in?

I'd like to print out copies of valuable information and carry them in my car in case I ever have a run in like that again. So if anyone could direct me towards printable pamphlet type info, I'd appreciate it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit