A sincere (believe me) question for current JWs

by bonovox 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bonovox
    bonovox

Ok, noticed a few JW posters on here, JamesG et al...

What has the WTBS said about the tragedies in the US last fall? Anything? I recall after Lockerbie in the 80s there was an Awake on Terrorism (with the guys in ski masks LOL), but what about the most recent events?

Trolls please resist the urge to rant that they all had a big celebration afterwards, ok?

Is it the 'beginning of the end'? Or are they just cautiously observing world events?

What I want is a magazine or something said publicly from a platform....anything?

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Awake January 8 as far as I recall, was for a large part dedicated to the tragedy. And it surely is no "beginning of the end", my friend. Of course, a terrible tragedy, and a new turn with respect to terrorism, but the Israeli terrorist authorities committed far larger acts of terrorism against the Palestinians in Lebanon at the refugee camp massacres a few years ago, and the Syrian terrorist authorities murdered some 50,000 dissidents in a Northern Syrian town at about the same time, etc., etc. This time, it hit the US, and suddenly it is supposed to be a sign of the end? Terrible as it was, it tells more about how egocentric many people in the US are. But of course, on the other hand, a terrorist attack on New York is seen by 1,000 as many people worldwide as is a terrorist attack in Sri Lanka or Pakistan.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Watchtower insists that the 9/11/01 terrorist attacks are another sign that we are in teh last days. They never shut up about that aspect about it.

never mind that 6 million people died in Germany 30 something years ago, and we haven't had a world war in almost sixty years, and countries are laying down arms all over the place, Vietnam has reunions every year where soldiers from both sides meet and hug and go over old times togeher, American and German and Japanese as well.

People live a better life, on the whole, than at any time in human histroy. they certainly have a better CHANCE for life than at any time ever before.

Watchtower, in typical apocalyptic fashion, would rather dwell on the 18 CRIMINALS practicing religious intolerance (just like watchtower, hmm) than the tens of thousands of people ALL AROUND THE WORLD who SPRANG forward to help.

The human race is growing up, maturing; and WATCHTOWER CAN'T STAND IT.

Well, that's just too da*n bad.

I should clarify: by Watchtower I reallymean teh brothers giving talks. I really don't think the literature mentions it much, and none of teh letters read to us or hanging on the board ever mention it; so it must just be some individual thing.

Edited by - dungbeetle on 11 June 2002 4:48:49

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

While, Dungbeetle, I do not think we live in a perfect world, and while I think the statistics on crime should not be used to state that "Ah! It's getting better!" just because the rate is down a year or two, then I constantly wonder a bit when I read about "this world, which is going from worse to worse" or "the world situation, which is rapidly moving downwards" or the "moral decline, which is speeding up all the time" or the "ever-increasing war threats" or whatever, because if things are constantly on an increasing level growing worse, then how come we are, many of us, living, in a general sense - rather OK? If the decline is that rapid, then - eh - well, what does it amount to, how come I don't feel it?

I feel it, but on another level. With one child a drug addict, one disfellowshipped, and one having a major surgery next week because of cancer, and myself fighting with health problems resulting from a life exactly as my nack name says, in addition to having lived all my life with death awareness, and in addition to my having disassociated myself not from the Witnesses or from the theology but from the Society and it's representatives' authority over myself - I feel the crime rates or war threats are a bit remote ......... Other things are closer.

My monthly letters to the Society, protesting against what has been said in articles in the magazines at least is a mental outlet ........

• Mackin
    Mackin

We do not see the world as it is, we see the world as we are.

This is a quote from somebody famous, but right now i cant remember who.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Someone famous whom I can't remember .......... Hmmmmm....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit