MASTER'S THESIS on Charles Taze Russell's sources and ideas

by TerryWalstrom 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a226955.pdf

Click on the above link and have a most enjoyable read!

Below, the opening paragraph

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Who wrote this?

What's the context?

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

This looks like a great read for a Friday night!!

Thank you Terry!

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

Gene Ahlstrom wrote this thesis.

University at Santa Barbara 1990. I just stumbled on to it today.

It is for the purpose of comparing Russell's thought on restoring the primitive church pre and post 1900, contrasted and compared with the layers on top wrought by subsequent Watchtower leaders.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Interesting stuff, the use of types and anti types was adopted by Russell, there was no question Russell was on his own theological expressive ideas and he just had enough ambition and money to put his thoughts into print, a true Evangelical Adventist.

Perhaps thats why he proclaimed himself a Freemason for intensionally moving away from mainstream Catholicism, even criticizing its teachings, they were nevertheless his own albeit influenced proportionately from other sources such as Pyramidology.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    I have had witnesses call me a liar when I used to point out to them that Russell believed that the anointed must die a sacrificial death and that their death had some weight towards the forgiveness of sins, that it completed Christ's sacrifice. I had read it myself and wondered what the hell that was all about. It all went back to establishing that the Bible was ONLY for the anointed because they must die a sacrificial death. This is one of the cracks in the exterior of the facade that was a wake up call for me. Oddly enough I agree with Barbour now, a fly with a pin in it, yep.
  • Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

A great find, Terry!

But to look only at Russell's attitude towards Christianity masks the other dominating feature of his ministry: he was a determined believer in the restoration of the Jews to their home in Palestine. This cannot be overstated.

Russell was absolutely determined that Lev 26 showed that in 1914, the Jews would be restored to become the world's dominant nation, to being restored to God's favour, I recognise, of course, that this lies outside the scope of the thesis you uncovered.

I note that the bibliography includes the book by Horowitz. I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed in Horowitz's book in that he does not provide pages numbers of the sources he refers to.

Good work, Terry.

Doug

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Interesting that it was Russell that brought in the idea of two classes. I thought that was a Rutherford idea.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

The worldwide web is like an archeology dig. You never know when something will surface which lends another layer of understanding to what is already known.

Finklestein: Perhaps thats why he proclaimed himself a Freemason for intensionally moving away from mainstream Catholicism, even criticizing its teachings, they were nevertheless his own albeit influenced proportionately from other sources such as Pyramidology.

I find this site to be exceptionally persuasive in addressing the issue of MASONIC connections to Russell. Check it out:

http://pastorrussell.blogspot.com/2008/09/was-charles-taze-russell-mason.html

Doug Mason: Russell was absolutely determined that Lev 26 showed that in 1914, the Jews would be restored to become the world's dominant nation, to being restored to God's favour, I recognise, of course, that this lies outside the scope of the thesis you uncovered.

This site is a treasure trove, Doug

http://wtarchive.svhelden.info/archive/en/publications/1910_CR_Jewish_Hopes.pdf

http://wtarchive.svhelden.info/english/books-and-tracts/

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I suggested he claimed to be a Freemason by his own words, not as member of an organization but metaphorically as he was working on his theological ideas freely separate from main stream Christianity., building up his doctrinal expressions without outside intervention.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit