Bible vs JW 2-witness rule

by Robert_V_Frazier 5 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Robert_V_Frazier
    Robert_V_Frazier

The Watchtower and its apologists keep insisting that the Bible gives them no choice but to insist on two witnesses to an act of molestation before they can do anything beyond filing a report with headquarters.

There is very clear teaching in the Bible that the two-witness principle does not apply to this type of situation. Here's the text:

23 If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24 you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death-the girl because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man's wife. You must purge the evil from among you.

25 But if out in the country a man happens to meet a girl pledged to be married and rapes her, only the man who has done this shall die. 26 Do nothing to the girl; she has committed no sin deserving death. This case is like that of someone who attacks and murders his neighbor, 27 for the man found the girl out in the country, and though the betrothed girl screamed, there was no one to rescue her.
    Deuteronomy 22:23-27

This is in the same book of the Bible as the two-witness principle. Let's focus on that second paragraph, 25-27. What's the situation? A woman is raped out in the country. There are no witnesses to the event. It is compared to another crime which rarely has witnesses, namely murder. Because there are no other witnesses, nobody who even could have seen it happen, or even have been close enough to hear if the woman had screamed for help, the man is to be put to death.

If the two-witness rule applied in such cases, that is, if two other witnesses besides the victim or even one other were required, it would not be possible to put the man to death for raping a woman when there are no witnesses. Contrary to the anti-biblical fantasies of the WBTS, it was not only possible, but mandatory under Old Testament law.

As Jesus said to another group of wilfully ignorant religious tyrants, so I say to the WBTS leadership: "You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God."

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

wow...good essay.

Consider this in addition tho: does the Scriptures say "..witnesses to the ACT" or ..."witnesses to the MATTER"?

Maybe it's only me, but I see a big difference. And that's using the NWT Bible even yet.

BEFORE YOU TRY AND REMOVE THE STICK FROM MY ARSE, REMOVE THE TELEPHONE POLE FROM YOUR OWN ARSE.

• somebody
    somebody

welcome, robert.

I agree with dungbeetle. Great essay. Intelligent thoughts. Here's another thought too. I've read phrases such as these: .."By his death, Christ 'released those under law." .... and.... "Chrsitians are not under the Mosiac law" over and over in wathtower literature. Yet, the watchtower will use the mosiac law scriptures to justify themselves further victimizing victims.

"Air baths are good for preventing colds.. What you do is strip naked mornings and evenings and then bob up and down for a while."~ Golden Age Feb 10 1926 31

Group air bath,anyone?

• blondie
    blondie

I concur, Robert_V_Frazier. Very good point!

• Robert_V_Frazier
    Robert_V_Frazier

To Somebody:

Yep, it's definitely hypocritical to teach that as "Christians", the JW's are not under the O.T. law, yet invoke Deuteronomy every time the issue of child abuse comes up. Without a syllable about whether or to what extent O.T. law applies today.

But if they want to appeal to Moses, Moses will leave them twisting slowly in the wind!

To Dungbeetle and Blondie: Thanks for the kind words. I've been posting for a long time on the JW forum at CARM. Been lurking here quite a bit too. Glad to be here!

• SloBoy
    SloBoy

Welcome Robert....although you are not a JW, you most certainly bring salient points to the forum. Makes me think of how Jesus, as a youngster, because of his godly wisdom, gained favor in the eyes of God and 'men'. Fortunately the converse is true. People can spot unmitigated hypocrisy. Thanks for shining one more flashlight under their rock.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit