What's up with pinterest?

by mynameislame 9 Replies latest jw friends

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

After trying to find the picture that blondie posted on the "Whose KH has the Blue Square jw.org on it?" I noticed this under every JW related pin:

♥•.¸¸.•♥ JW.org has the Bible bible based study aids to read, watch, listen download in 300+ (sign included) languages. They also offer free in home bible studies. All at no charge.

Pretty much my first foray onto pintrest so I don't really know how it works but this seemed very cultish for sure.

I was at this link:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/494551602805042517/

You need a login, I found a couple at bugmenot.com

• Simon
    Simon

It's probably paid advertising by the WTS

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Pinterest is just plain weird to me. Chicks seem to love it. Any chicks here care to explain the appeal?

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

It's mostly pointless. However, I do use it sometimes to quickly save a picture, pictures of hupa or yurok basket hats, for instance. I've saved quite a few to my pinterest page so I have them all in one place. A little more convenient sometimes than bookmarking a page. I save recipes there, too, that I want for future reference. But mostly, it's kind of dumb.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I don't know much about Pinterest, but I'm pretty confident that the Society didn't write that text. Even besides the typos you made in transcribing it (you could have just copy-pasted, you know), the original text is not well-written at all. And the Society isn't going to use heart characters in their ad copy.

♥•.¸¸.•♥ JW.org has the Bible and bible based study aids to read, watch, listen and download in 300+ (sign included) languages. They also offer free in home bible studies. All at no charge.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Even besides the typos you made in transcribing it...

I did copy and paste and I don't see any typos

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Then you must have copied a different one from the ones I saw when I visited that page, because as you can see from my copy-pasted quote, your version omits the "and" between "Bible" and "bible" and the "and" between "listen" and "download".

• Simon
    Simon

I don't know what the limitations on pinterest ads are - sometimes you try and cram in copy to get the gist of what you want to say in scannable form so I wouldn't read too much into the correctness of the english. Who else would want to pay to advertise jw.org if not the WTS?

• talesin
    talesin

I would guess it's 'good advertising' for the JWS.

They have always relied on getting converts from people who are needy. Like LG said 'lots of chicks' - yeah, and most likely a lot of single moms who are desperate for 'family' - perhaps the WTS sees this as an advertising opportunity.

t

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I don't know what the limitations on pinterest ads are - sometimes you try and cram in copy to get the gist of what you want to say in scannable form so I wouldn't read too much into the correctness of the english.

Let's look at the wording again:

JW.org has the Bible and bible based study aids to read, watch, listen and download in 300+ (sign included) languages. They also offer free in home bible studies. All at no charge.

The application of the first sentence's verbs to both "Bible" and "bible based" leads to the incorrect statement that the Bible is available to "read, watch or listen to" in many languages including "sign". The second and third instances of "Bible" are not capitalized. "Bible-based" is not hyphenated. There's no "to" after "listen". "Sign" is not a specific language (especially when not capitalized), and its parenthetical location in the sentence is dubiously grammatical. "In-home" is not hyphenated. The last sentence is a sentence fragment.

Are you really telling me you think someone at the Society wrote that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit