Jw's attitudes toward the act of baptism

by _Morpheus 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

I attended (meaning was emotionally blackmailed) a JW baptisum ceremony today. I was awestruck at the "event" status given this. To be sure it wasnt the first time i witnessed it but for whatever reason it really stood out to me what a spectical they have turned this into. Litterally hundreds of people crowed around the pool and hudreds more jocking for position to see the monitor broadcasting the dunking. It really stood out to me what a pretentious show it was.

Biblically Jesus presented himself to john. few witnessed it. same with every other baptisum i can think of in the bible. Yet another twist of outward appearance being emphisised in dubbie land.

• looter
    looter

But is not that the point of getting baptized in the bible? To show your faith in the public? However the baptism is pretty much only about image for the witnesses.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Perhaps im reading to much into it or perhaps im not expressing myself well... It just seems that if baptisum is the outward symbol of dedication to god then why is it is seemingly worshipped as an act by dubbies...? Dubbies also note that you are not 'once saved always saved'. If thats true then the act if baptsium isnt worth glorifying in the way it is... As i said, maybe im over reaching or maybe im not expressing myself well...

• apostrate
    apostrate

This may not be exactly answering your question......but, I find this piece of information from The Watchtower extremely insightful:

"The practice of baptism, however, predates the Christian faith. It was employed in Babylonia and in ancient Egypt, where the cold waters of the Nile were thought to increase strength and bestow immortality." The Watchtower April 1, 1993, page 4.

Seems that JW's like to hang on to certain pagan traditions.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I'm more fascinated by how you spelled "baptism" correctly in the subject line but then it mutated to "baptisum" and then "baptsium"

Anyway, I don't really see anything I could call worship of baptism. I mean, you line up for the pool, everyone watches you get dunked, and then what? You go off, find a towel and change your clothes. People congratulate you if they bump into you later in the day, or at the next meeting at the Hall, and then everything is back to normal. Most of us actually felt it was pretty anti-climactic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit