Vale Phillip Hughes, killed playing cricket

by Max Divergent 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

I can't see that there's a posting about the tragic death of Australian cricketer, Phillip Hughes last week. He was an extraordinary talent and, by all accounts, was a thoroughly decent and happy 25 year old man.

He missed hitting a ball bowled at him and was struck by it in the neck: the rock hard ball would have been travelling at about 85km/h. The blow ruptured an artery causing too much blood to flow into his brain. He dropped face down seconds after and never regained consciousness, despite every possible effort being made.

Too sad. He played at the top level and broke several records from the age of 20. This video is an official tribute to him. The gory details are a Google search away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHL-qiz9y8Y

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

There was an Umpire killed by a ball in Israel a day or two later. Very sad.

I stopped playing Cricket at "village" level, where no helmets are worn, when I was finding it difficult to see the really fast balls, it is so dangerous, the very last game I played I nearly got my head knocked off. I fended the first few balls off, knocked a lucky six, and then was out, in all about five balls faced, all at about 80MPH.

The game gives so much pleasure to so many that I hope it does not get changed radically, but my deepest sympathy goes to family and friends of those who have lost loved ones.

• Simon
    Simon

Really tragic for him and his family but also the bowler who is having a hard time coping with it.

His final innings has been revised from 'retired injured' to 63 not out (forever)

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Horse racing seems to have had its share of tragedies too.Jockey Caitlin Forrest died in a fall in October in Australia and jockey Juan Saez died a few days ago in the N.Y. U.S.A. Puts a damper on sports. Tragically sad!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit