WT application of James 1:27 - looking after widows and orphans

by EndofMysteries 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Since the bible is clear on helping widows and orphans, needy, poor, etc, it's interesting to see how the WT twists these scriptures to make their followers feel they are following it when they really aren't. Because it costs money to really help those and the WT wants the money themselves.

Here are some WT quotes directly on fulfilling this obligation of James 1:27 -

HELP ELDERLY GET TO THE MEETINGS -

Similarly, overseers today are alert to make sure that the elderly living in nursing homes in their area are not neglected. Robert, an elder, points out: “It would be good if Christian overseers personally visited the elderly to see their living conditions and to pray with them. The congregation can do much to care for their needs.” If we set aside time to visit the elderly, we show that we understand how important it is in Jehovah’s eyes to care for those who are in need.—Jas. 1:27.
    When necessary, the elders willingly coordinate practical assistance for their brothers and sisters in local nursing homes. Robert observes what one need might be, “We should encourage elderly brothers and sisters to attend Christian meetings if they are able to do so.” However, for those who can no longer travel to the Kingdom Hall, the elders could make other arrangements. Jacqueline, who is in her mid-80’s and suffers from osteoarthritis, listens to the meetings by telephone. She says: “It does me a lot of good to hear the meetings while they are actually taking place. I would not miss them for anything in the world!”

GOING TO MEETINGS AND OBEYING THE GB -

Promoting “the form of worship that is clean and undefiled” from God’s standpoint brings many blessings. (Jas. 1:27) For example, we live at a time when more and more people are “lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming,” and “without love of goodness.” (2 Tim. 3:1-5) Within God’s household, however, we have the privilege of associating with a clean, wholesome people who strive to uphold God’s standards for worshipping him. Is that not a source of refreshment?

ONLY help if sick or need ride to meetings, but more important is encourage to go to meetings -

Yes, preparing a meal for a sick person, assisting an elderly one with chores, providing transportation to Christian meetings when necessary, and not being closefisted toward deserving ones are among the deeds of mercy we should abound in.—Deuteronomy 15:7-10.
    6 Of greater importance than giving materially is giving spiritually to assist members of the expanding Christian congregation. We are exhorted to “speak consolingly to the depressed souls, support the weak.”

NOT ASSOCIATING WITH WORLDLY PEOPLE OR BEING IMMORAL -

It was obvious that the Witnesses were different in their conduct and attitude. They were not involved in the immoral and violent activities of other youths in school. To me, they were really separate from the world, as I had read in the Bible that those who practice true religion should be.—John 17:14-16; James 1:27.

HAVING AN 'ORDERLY' WEDDING -

A Christian wedding is a good opportunity to show that we are “no part of the world.” (John 17:14; James 1:27) Our orderliness should stand out. This would mean that we would be on time instead of making people wait, possibly interfering with congregational activities.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Question: How did James, as the leader of the Jerusalem Christian community, support himself?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Nice compilation, thanks EoM. The lack of charitable works is one of the things that started to bug me about the religion some time around my late teens.

• Been_There_Done_That
    Been_There_Done_That

I appreciated this quote from Stephen Colbert:

“If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it.”

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Great topic EoM. When I met with the elders for my apostasy trial I read them this verse and said plainly that they were not doing this, all three tried to speak at once. Then the elder named Dennis (I believe) said, "Eric I take OFFENSE at that!"

I think it is in part 5:

Apostasy Trial - Part 5 Jehovah's Witness JC: http://youtu.be/Ee0tbSJ6gg8

• gda
    gda

3rd gen

I've never seen...or had help...or

witnessed a jw christian help one another. They will advise to seek help from the community but we can't give back.

What is that???

• smiddy
    smiddy

This is when they fall back on the" government Assistance Programs" that are their for your benefit .

On the one hand they condenm this system of things as in the control of Satan the Devil that JW`s should have no part of , yet on the other hand they tell JW`s this is a right you have to accept handouts from the Government of Satans system of things.

And that is the first response a jehovahs witness receives when they are in need.

The second response is , what can your unbeleiving relatives do to help you .

And the third response is ? We are just here to promote Kingdom Interests .

smiddy

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Is there not a scripture that says:

" Little children, we should love not in word or with the tongue, but in deed and truth" 1 John 3: 18 (new New world translation)

SO...GB, by failing to actually help charities in a tangible way, and by preventing or discouraging the flock to do so as individuals, are you not guilty of disobeying this very scripture???

Hypocrites!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit