Has anyone ever.....

by Ugottabefresh 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Ugottabefresh
    Ugottabefresh

.....done evening witnessing on halloween?

True story: once I was auxiliary pioneering in October and got the flu mid-month. Naturally I had to get those sixty (dating myself) hours in and I was at fifty on 10/30. Halloween was thus an all-day affair, and by the time evening rolled around they thought I was trick-or-treating AS a Jdub! Didn't place any magazines but got a buttload of candy :)

Good memories....

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

No, but I remember the constant insistance from our elders that we go out and preach on Christmas morning and new years day. (perfect chance to find people at home right?). The thing is that we did so very early in the morning. I always try telling everyone that was a bad idea. People tend to reject us in their regular days.. but if we attempt to do it while they are sleepy and drunk from the night before? To tell them that God will kill them for what they just did?

• sir82
    sir82

I went out once on a Thanksgiving. It was awful.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I just posted my random thought of the day about this on another thread. It seems like a good idea since people are more likely to open up! They always bother people on christmas morning and thanksgiving, why not actually do it when people expect a knock on the door?

I never did it (or any of the holiday preaching). It always felt tacky to try to usurp a day that they'd otherwise enjoy and force people to shoo us away. Even thinking as a JW it seemed like it would be counter productive as people are going to be annoyed by your presence, and therefore less likely to talk even if you catch them later at a better time.

• Gustv Cintrn
    Gustv Cintrn

Preaching work during any holiday is among the worse ways to waste one's time. Never did it, and never will.

GC

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Early on, I was doing door-to-door recruiting on Christmas day. I had one woman tell me how her whole family was gathered together and I should have noticed all the cars out front and not rang their bell. I felt she was right. I stopped doing the recruiting, at least the cold-calls at doors on all the major holidays.

No New Years Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Halloween recruiting for me. The service overseer gathered people to go to the cemetary on Memorial Day and asked what I thought of that. I said I thought it was intruding.

If I had needed 10 hours on Halloween, I suppose I would have done it entirely as street work, sat at Starbucks for some of it.

• Purza
    Purza

We had someone come to the door last night to GIVE us candy, along with a religious pamphlet "Our Daily Bread." We ate the candy and recycled the pamphlet. I did think that was a rather unique way of getting their word out.

Purza

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit