A SPECIAL OCCASION.....

by NAVYTOWN 2 Replies latest jw friends

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

I came across a saying that I especially like: 'Don't ever save anything for a Special Occasion. Every day you are alive is a Special Occasion.' Compare that to the JW mindset that says this world is a terrible place and that JWs will only be truly happy 'someday' when they get to 'paradise'.

• Mum
    Mum

Once I heard a poetry reading on PBS. One of the poems illustrates what you're saying. It's about a woman who's saving everything nice that she has, as the poem says, for "a day that will never come in her life."

My grandmother was one of the people who was saving everything. I think it's partly because of her experiences during the Great Depression and partly because she was simply a very frugal person. There will always be such people, so, instead of buying them a gift, I like to take them out and show them a good time.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I sell antiques (well, really, just good junk), so I often go to estate sales. I often see lovely things that people got in their life that they put away and never used, it makes me a little sad. I get that people of that generation lived through the depression and learned to save things, but I wonder why they didn't wear that sexy nightgown, drink from those Crystal glasses, or use that silver teapot. The best sales are where you see things people bought on their travels, lovely clothes that were worn and loved, books that were read and enjoyed and furniture that was lived in. These things have a patina that is more interesting to me than any unused item, and tells a story of a life well lived.

It's not a dress rehearsal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit