The two key components of religion... If removed?

by purrpurr 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

I'm reading a very interesting book right now " why our children will be atheist "

I've just started the beginning of the book but it starts off with a history of how religion developed through the ages of mankind.

One of the points it make is that religion was invented for two reasons 1) to alay fears about death and the future 2) to create a bond between other people.

I found this thought to be very interesting and I wonder if the need for those two components were removed from mankind would religion disappear too?

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Will all people ever give up on the possibility of seeing dead loved ones again? No, I do not think so. Hope is engineered into our DNA.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Religion was invented as a way to understand the world as well as for the hope for immortality. It allows for social bonding but usually, in conservative religions, bonding with outsiders is looked down upon.
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

Whatever the reasons for its creation, its 2 principal reasons for existence now are,

a) to have a ruling clergy who can.....

b) rake in loads of cash!

Do you know of a religion which does neither?

Since 2012, even the WTBTS claims that J.W.'s have a priesthood leading them right now!

w12 12/15 p. 26 par. 10 - "And the anointed "priests of Jehovah," as well as the other sheep "foreigners," are passing on this invitation to people worldwide in over 600 languages."

Sorry - 9 months gestation between Watchtowers gives 'birth' to a major contradiction:

w12 3/15 p. 23 par. 12 - "What relief will come to human "creation" during the Thousand Year Reign of Christ! At that time, the glorified "sons of God" will be further ‘revealed’ when they act as priests with Christ...."

No wonder active J.W.'s haven't a clue what they believe now, and why the Org tells them to carry electronic devices as opposed to Bibles - so they can get the most up-to-date truth!!!

• DJS
    DJS

Social services provided by governments and secular agencies have created a system whereby religion has lost much of its influence. Economic development, jobs, financial security have also resulted in the lessening of religion's influence.

The growth of other charitable causes, clubs, organizations, etc. has removed the need to bind together in a pointy (or round) topped building in order to fellowship and commiserate.

The widespread availability of education, especially higher eduction, which (well supposedly) teaches people how to think critically and evaluate and analyze data empirically greatly lessens religion's influence.

Birth control, antibiotics, advancements in medical treatments/pharmaceuticals have also lessened religion's influence. In many areas women can act like men have for thousands of years ant not fear pregnancy, for example (and thank god for that!).

The social evolution of industrialized societies includes an acceptance of gays, transgenders, living together and having sex without marriage, birth control, etc. without the condemnation imposed by religion. Religion is quickly losing its grip as a result.

That leaves one thing - a belief in a here-after. The more rational we become that will also fade. That belief isn't based on anything that is rational; there are so many differing beliefs regarding the afterlife that to think any of them are relevant is sticking one's head up one's ass and continuing to believe simply because one wants to believe.

Whether there is an afterlife, religion has nothing, I repeat NOTHING, to do with it. Once humans understand this, religion will lose its final influence. The only places religion will continue to flourish are those areas or religions that do not include one or more of the above mentioned factors.

Educated priests and religious leaders and ministers know this. Google the following article.

The End of Religion as We Know It: Why Churches Can No Longer Hide the Truth

Daniel Dennett on closeted atheist clergy and our new age of radical transparency.
    May 16, 2015

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit