Why did the Organisation abandom WBBR radio station , Why did they start it up?

by smiddy 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy
    smiddy

The radio station in New York (I think) WBBR from 1924 - 1957 and they closed down. Why didnt they go global ? Look at all the millions more they could have reached with a radio message . , especially since 1924 till now 2014

.What I wanted to ask is why dont the witnesses use modern technology ,radio , TV , blogs , i-phones , twitter ,etc.etc.?

Televangelists have used this medium for decades with great success , and the witnesses still cling to D2D witnessing which produces negative results.

Oh forgive me , they are starting to wake up with JW.ORG

And not very effectively , I might add.

smiddy

• Honesty
    Honesty

Most people listen to the radio during their commute to and from work and today's consumer would rather listen to music, sports talk radio, etc. than ruin their day by getting put to sleep by some "the end of the world is soon, soon, soon!" monotonous fool who barely finished high school.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I would love to read the official reasoning, but I hazard a guess- they wanted a profit and selling literature was the way to go. Radio could only turn a profit by advertising their literature and they had an army of people to do that anyway.

• prologos
    prologos

did they close down or sold it, the band allocation, license, call name, equipment? was television coming, and as ON THE WAY OUT said so well,

well, they had live performers rather than a small flickering screen.

• Terry
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

If I had to guess, same reason I suspect they stopped making movies after the "Photo-Drama of Creation"... everyone else started doing it, and Rutherford was a knee-jerk contrarian of the highest order.

x

I just got the weirdest image in my head...

...of a cheezy 50s-set sitcom about a declining religious radio station and its eccentric staff: "WBBR in Philadelph-ee"...

...(yes, I know the actual WBBR was set up in Staten Island).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit