Isn’t prayer materialistic?

by Pinku 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Pinku
    Pinku

Prayer is often an expression of an “if-then” deal that tacitly denies equal rights to the other party. The form and essence of most prayers go like this: “If you do this favor to me, I will do this (pioneering, or put in more hours in the preaching) for you.” And “if not...well, then, too bad for you, God, because you didn't deliver as was clearly outlined in the contract.”

This shows religion has failed in its primary duty of RECONNECTING (religare, Latin) man with God and fellow humans; and ironically has led to numerous divisions and disunity! The prayers, rituals and offerings encourage people to seek mostly material benefits from God, thus unwittingly RECONNECTING them more and more with the materialistic world. And what is the result? Disquiet and Disharmony. [Jesus spoke against prayer when he said: “Your Father ALREADY knows what you need before you ask Him.” (Mathew 6:8) The prayer that Jesus supposedly taught thereafter is actually an insult to God [such as asking God to “give us our daily bread”—something He has already made ETERNAL provisions for … and asking God to learn from humans: “forgive us the wrongs we have done, as WE forgive the wrongs that others have done to us”], hence may be an interpolation!

Interestingly, this is something people do not need any proof. People who had swum in the ocean of material wealth would feel pity on those who bargain for material benefits with God through their prayers: “Happiness lies in the mind’s release from worldly things.”—Buddha (Compare Mathew 5:3; 16:24)

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

-

If you talk to God, you are praying; If God talks to you, you have schizophrenia. - Thomas Szasz

• zeb
    zeb

Kh prayers are almost scripted.

Convention prayers are a summing up of the convention assuming god is an idiot and must be reminded and of course conv prayers are someones 'moment in the sun' and are way way way too long.

What was it j esus said that when the pagans pray they are hoping to be heard by the mass of words they utter?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

In jokehovianism, you are supposed to do whatever for joke-hova unconditionally. If that thing chooses to allow you to receive whatever (from your own hard work, Satan, or random chance), it gets credit and you are still on the hook to pious-sneer or whatever. If that thing chooses to prevent you from receiving what you asked for, you are still on the hook. A total waste of time.

• JosephP
    JosephP

Jesus was saying, don't pray for what you need. He also said, "You pray, and you pray, and you don't receive...it is because you have asked for the wrong thing." That leaves the question, "What is the right thing to ask for?" Those who make claim to be servants of God, should be just that, servants. A servant will always ask, "What is it I can do for you Lord? Please guide my foot steps." Servants should be giving thanks for what God has given them, and asking for help in serving him. Everything else is wasted.

I see people praying to make thier sick cat well, a better job, etc. God is not there to serve people. He created people to serve him. Religions teach, "If you love God, he will answer your prayers." He he will only answer those that have to do with your service to him.

• Pinku
    Pinku

JosephP

Thank you for that golden words: " God is not there to serve people."

In fact He has already served us with the life-support systems He has put in place on earth, which is more than enough for our enjoyment.

• JosephP
    JosephP

Pinkue,

you are welcome.

• Viviane
    Viviane

He he will only answer those that have to do with your service to him.

What if someone prays for something materialistic and it just happens to align with God's will?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit