jw apps spying on us?

by purrpurr 5 Replies latest jw friends

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

Hi everyone I'm back from the hell that was twickers. I have a question, there's a ton a jw related apps available for download. Is it possible for these apps to be able to spy on the user once downloaded on to the tablet or phone? I note that a number of them have all many of permissions that don't seem to be nesscessry?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Most likely not. But personally, if I get found out by some spyware that the cult included in some app, I'll be perfectly OK with it. It'll demonstrate the level of control the cult aspires to have, and I think it will help to wake up my wife.

• Dis-Member
  • disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

Possible, but likely?

They may be megalomaniac controllers but I don't think they're stupid enough to risk doing something that could get them in legal trouble. Not while they've got their eight million strong army of snitchers at their disposal..

• 88JM
    88JM

Apps do have to go through an approval process to be on the Android Store (Google Play) or the Apple Store/iTunes. If anyone is an app developer, you will know that even the simplest apps go through this process and are tested just as thoroughly by Google and Apple.

If there was anything dodgy going on that wasn't part of the app specifications then it would be shown up in that process. There are far more malocious people than the WTBTS who would love to create apps to spy on you and steal your data, so Google and Apple have to have a pretty rigorous process to stop that.

The worst I can imagine the WTBTS doing is storing the ID and/or location of your phone against a database of any searches you make on the online library, but even that would require way too much computing power and storage space to justify what could be done with that info.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Apps do have to go through an approval process to be on the Android Store (Google Play) or the Apple Store/iTunes. If anyone is an app developer, you will know that even the simplest apps go through this process and are tested just as thoroughly by Google and Apple.

If there was anything dodgy going on that wasn't part of the app specifications then it would be shown up in that process.

You think so? How did the game app Angry Birds slip the Google and Apple approval process then for years?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25922569

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/27/nsa-gchq-smartphone-app-angry-birds-personal-data

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit