Alternative theory to conventional evolution: Stabilization Theory. What do you think?

by EdenOne 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

I happened to come across a new (2008) theory on the evolution of live, by a biologist named Eugene M. McCarthy. He describes his new approach as Stabilization Theory. I haven't read into it in depht, so I cannot make any informed comments so far.

This is his website: www.macroevolution.net

His main point seems to be that the darwinian approach to evolution taking place as small genetic mutations isn't consistent with the paleontological facts; evolution is better understood in terms of hybridization of species.

Comments?

Eden

• braincleaned
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

It seems plausible, but probably needs a lot more work to substantiate. It'll be interesting to see how (or if) the idea develops further.

The creationist's reaction will almost certainly be fueled by disgust and incredulity and finish with something like: "see! the so-called scientists don't even understand evolution, but we're expected to just believe it?"

Edit:

Thanks for finding that braincleaned, I couldn't find much on the guy or the theory, and didnt' feel like searching very long. I guess that explains why what I could find all refered to his "papers" being "published" on his website, not any peer-reviewed journal.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

eden - I love it. Of course pigs are the only animals that consider themselves equal to us!

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Quote from the introduction of "On the Origins of New Forms of Life - A New Theory", by Eugene M. McCarthy

"How does evolution occur? — That is, what natural processes bring new types of organisms into being? Expressed more technically, one might ask, what are the genetic processes that have produced the various forms scientists recognize and assign scientific names? This is the question considered in this book. Certainly, there is a great mass of literature already available on this topic. But my own, more than 20-year investigation of that literature has convinced me that certain widely accepted claims about the nature of evolutionary processes represent little more than unsubstantiated dogma, as unsupported by replicable experiment as the events described in Genesis.

I readily admit that many of the claims made by my fellow evolutionary biologists are in fact correct and entirely reasonable. But some are inconsistent with fact and, in my opinion, the corresponding aspects of evolutionary theory need adjustment. The theory of evolution should conform to the facts of evolution. By collecting all the relevant facts together here, I hope to lead you to the same conclusion. It remains true, as R. S. Crane liked to say, that "there is no authority but evidence." In this book I have gathered evidence of all sorts that seemed to have any direct bearing on the question at hand. Moreover, I have tried to present that evidence in such a way that a non-biologist can understand it, so long as he or she reads this book in the order it is written. For the issues considered here are of vital concern, not only to the few people who call themselves evolutionary biologists, but also to all humanity.

For the last 150 years, we biologists have been defending a fortress built by Charles Darwin. We have spent our energies hurling back the assaults of the creationist infidels and shoring up a slowly crumbling foundation that once seemed based on the hard bedrock of direct observation. But an ocean of data, accumulating since 1859, has been slowly lapping away at the rotting stone beneath Darwin’s castle, undermining its moldering walls, making it an ever more dangerous place to reside. As Darwin's most eloquent proponent, T. H. Huxley, once said, "Every great truth begins as heresy and ends as superstition." In the case of evolutionary theory, Huxley appears to have been right. Facts presented in this book do indeed suggest that certain elements of Darwin's heresy can now best be interpreted as a kind of superstition. It was Huxley, too, who warned us not to "pretend that conclusions are certain which are not demonstrated or demonstrable." I will argue that certain important tenets of modern evolutionary theory actually do fall into this category.

I want to present the facts that compelled me to abandon my former ideas of how evolution occurs. As we shall see, a different account of the evolutionary process is far easier to defend on an evidentiary basis than is the one given by most biology texts. According to this alternative view, what we may term stabilization theory, certain genetic processes known to disrupt the normal reproductive cycle are the typical source of new types of organisms (a variety of these stabilization processes are described in Chapter Four). Although stabilization theory is a new explanation as a whole, its intellectual components have a long tradition in biological thought and all the phenomena it invokes are all well known and well documented.Presenting those components, providing examples of the phenomena involved, and discussing the relevant aspects of the history of biology, will require all the chapters of this book. But, I suspect many readers will have a very different idea of the nature of evolution by the time they've reached its end. " [....]

You can read the entire paper here. [pdf]

One question that comes to my mind is: This theory doesn't seek to explain how initially life came to be; it attempts to explain how new types of organisms come to existence, presumably always from a previous form of life. So how does he propose that life has begun?

Eden

• jgnat
    jgnat

No evolutionary theory attempts to explain how life began. The questions about the origin of life is another branch of science altogether, with its own set of theories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

• jgnat
  • galaxie
    galaxie

Evolution is a fact no matter what slant is theorised about its journey.

The spark of life or as we define creation(bringing into being) is probably unsolvable given the physical make up of our brain.ie it must have a limit of understanding no matter how clever we think we are. We are after all made up of what we are trying to understand.

There is of course human curiosity which means we will always keep searching for the answer, all strengh to those who do.

Believing in man made hocus pocus about almighty supernatural beings being responsible is imo an insult to our limited evolved intelligence.

Best wishes.

• cofty
    cofty

Eden - If you find it interesting could you please explain "stabilisation theory" in your own words in a few simple sentences? Thanks

Has the idea been published in any peer-reviewed journals?

The bit you pasted is tedious rhetoric. I hope it gets better.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I like this definition of evolution:

EVOLUTION is the change in the gene pool over time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit