Out of the Mouth of Babes - Bethel Gift shop?

by 4thgen 8 Replies latest jw friends

• 4thgen
    4thgen

About a week ago I posted to ask for some suggestions on how handle my (pre-teen) son’s upcoming trip with his father trip to Bethel this summer. I got some wonderful suggestions. Some of which was to leave him alone, as he will see through the bullshXt himself. With that said, I wanted to pass onto you a conversation that I overheard last night.

Dad “….once you see the organization at work, you will be apart of it.”

Son “Are there any gift shops at Bethel?“

Dad “Excuse me?”

Son “Are there any gift shops at Bethel, you know where you buy the DVD’s and umbrella’s and stuff?”

Dad “Where ever did you get an idea like that?”

Son “Well, the JW.org logo is everywhere and Mom said there was a display with Caleb and Sophia there. I figured they would sell Caleb toys and stuff there”

Dad “The organization is a non-for profit. That means they GIVE AWAY the literature. You never have to pay for anything. That is a beauty of Jehovah’s organization.”

Son “Then where do you buy the umbrellas?”

Dad “Umbrellas? I don’t know what you are talking about. The brothers work for free and they never ask for any money.”

Son “But Dad, I just saw on TV some guy telling to send money to JW.org to make the videos and stuff. I know I saw the selling umbrellas on eBay”

Dad “You must be mistaken, Son”

That was all I heard of the conversation. I was laughing so hard, that I had to leave the room. Out of the mouths of Babes! Now, if his father was only as smart as the son!!!!!

• WingCommander
    WingCommander
    Your son is obviously more informed and up-to-date than your husband. Your son has seen the May broadcast. Your son doesn't live under a rock, he knows about the JW products, and also already knows about the Caleb & Sophie cardboard cut-outs up in Bethel. Just wait until it all catches up with your husband. Your husband might actually come back from this trip more "awake" then you could even imagine. Especially after seeing all of this Borg worship and commercialization.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Just make sure your son continues to see videos like Lett begging for money the new cartoon etc. I would be pro active not like others say because the borg followers have BS answers for everything
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Dad “The organization is a non-for profit. That means they GIVE AWAY the literature. You never have to pay for anything. That is a beauty of Jehovah’s organization.”

Clearly dad does not understand what "not-for-profit" means. Plenty of non-profits sell things.

Check out this list of the Top 100 Nonprofits on the Web.

Here are links to a couple of examples:

#3 - The Museum of Modern Art's online store: MoMA Store

#6 - Shopping at the Smithsonian

And as for the "you never have to pay for anything" comment: Who does he think pays for EVERYTHING the organization has and does? That's the hypocrisy of the organization!

It's hard to talk to people that are ignorant and refuse to reason or listen.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

If there was a gift shop they would most likely have replaced it with an enlarged contribution box and credit card donation desk.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher
    That's some serious swag!
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Popular items for jw org

I doubt there's a gift shop of the type your son is wondering about. But he's going to find some strange things there with his open mind.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher
    Nice find, OTWO. I like the handheld wooden doorknocker. I guess knuckles aren't good enough anymore.
  • 4thgen
    4thgen
    Thanks for all your comments. The WT has always been very proprietary about the use of the WT trademark. It is highly likely that they get some sort of reimbursement for the use on the logo for those products.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit