WTBT$ and natural disasters- do they get paid to do the repairs?

by Darth Fader The Sequel 7 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Darth Fader The Sequel
    Darth Fader The Sequel

When there is a natural disaster in the US, we always hear about the WTBT$ rushing in and doing all sorts of repair work for the local JW's and even for "worldly" neighbors. A zillion examples of this in the Katrina Hurricane aftermath, various major floods around the country, tornadoes, fires, etc.

On the surface, this sort of charitable assistance appears to me to be one of the few truly loving and charitable things the WTBT$ ever gets involved with, and certainly all the volunteer JW's who work so hard doing this work deserve credit for their efforts.

BUT!!!!! I am suspicious.

My question (to anyone who may have first hand knowledge of how this all works) is this: Does the WTBT$ make all these repairs on the local JW's homes *on the condition* that they get compensated by the JW's homeowner's insurance or whatever FEMA funds become available to get these people brought back to whole? IF that is the case, are the "worldly" neighbors (the ones that have their stories told a million times in assembly and convention parts and yearbooks for decades after) who also get repairs done by the JW volunteers under the direction of the WTBT$ expected and required to agree to the same compensation agreement?

I ask this question because it has been rumored and insinuated to me over the years but I have no proof or first hand knowledge accounts of it.

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

There are threads on this forum of people directly involved who were going back and

asking for a donation of the amount of the insurance payment

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/84971/1/JW-Disaster-Relief-One-of-their-biggest-moneymakers#.U8FufbGTFiY

• Darth Fader The Sequel
    Darth Fader The Sequel

OK, thanks. I will search that and see if I find them.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

I personally know of a brother who was pressured by the CO to do this, and so he refused the "help" that was offered, and had the work done by "real" contractors. The CO (Fred "Asshole" Kua) was incredibly pissed about this!

• John S
    John S

To reply to the WT scandels question;

I live in Hattiesburg, MS, and we went through Katrina; ground zero here.

We also were a collective and distribution center for relief supplies that poured in from all over Northern and other states. Food, water, shoes (a whole tractor -trailer load; 1000's of pairs). Canned goods, paper products like tissue , diapers, formulae for babies, ...even brand new expensive generators for power plants for homes; 18 of these brand new! 500-800 bucks a pop.

The generosity of the brothers and sisters was overwhelming. I can truly say, a spirit of brotherhood was definitely shown by the rank and file. But sadly, this was not the case from the WT.

Thy asked the witnesses who received aid from the brothers who helped re-roof, (mainly) to re-imburse WT with insurance checks for the materials WT provided, or just their own funds...no charity was extended at all. And they got reminded in follow-up letters, too...."pay back what you owe!" (Matt. 18:28) Not the labor, of course, because it was donated by the local, and sometimes out of state brothers.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Sounfds about right. Help the afficted and devestated but in the end ask to be reembursed. After all the money will be use for the world wide expansion ( of the nicely appointed new bethel buildings going up all over) work of the kingdom. LOL

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

When you ask to be reimbursed for help rendered, you haven't "given" a thing, have you? Money grubbers.

• blondie
    blondie

They also do not want you to donate money to a specfici diasaster but to the WTS directly so they can "direct the money to where it can be best used" most likely not for the disaster.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit