whether the Jewish or SDA Saturday, or Sunday, the Pope has a point

by nonjwspouse 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I keep liking what I hear from this Pontiff. He lamentes not keeping a day of no work to spend with the family.

CAMPOBASSO, Italy (AP) — Pope Francis has lamented the abandoning of the traditionally Christian practice of not working on Sundays, saying it has a negative impact on families and friendships......

At one point, the pope, speaking off the cuff, encouraged parents to spend more time with children. He quipped: "Waste time with your children!" He said he liked to ask parents, "do you play with your children?"

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Waste time with your children!

I've no problem with that! Excellent advice.

• jamclark
    jamclark

Interesting concept modeled after the Scriptural Shabbat or the set-apart day of rest.

At least back in Constatine's time they did close businesses and limited trade when the day was moved to Sunday. Sadly today the government has yielded to the greater society that wanted to shop and work on Sunday thus businesses opened and have slowly increased hours of trading. Hard to turn back time.

• designs
    designs

Except the Gelato stand...

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I am not a believer, but I try to keep a Sabbath of sorts. I think it's healthy to take a day to rest, to contemplate, to enjoy nature and spend time with family. I might do some art, but no major projects. I try not to go shopping or watch TV, except maybe a movie on Netflix, no commercials. It just makes sense to have a change of pace once a week.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

I think everyone should have a rest day. Big business doesn't think so. It sees everyday as $ day. I make it a point not to shop on Sunday--and to rest. But, most workers don't have that choice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit