Creationism banned at all public schools in the UK

by yalbmert99 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• yalbmert99
    yalbmert99

Creationism banned at all public schools in the UK, June 19, 2014.

http://www.cityam.com/1403185853/creationism-banned-all-public-schools-uk

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

That is not true or representative of what is going on to.be fair.

Creation is and will.be taught in british schools, but will and is taught in religious education classess, just not science class.

This is because creationism is not science. Science is a 5 step mechanism of.observing the universe, seperated into 3 specialities: physics, chemistry and biology.

There is no evidence confirming a creation story, nevermind any one in paticular such as in the Bible, Koura etc.

• Sparlock the Wizard
    Sparlock the Wizard

Too bad nothing like that will pass over here in America anytime soon.

• cofty
    cofty

Sparlock I thought it was already illegal to teach creationism in public schools in the USA.

It was confirmed by Kitzmiller v Dover in 2004

• Sparlock the Wizard
    Sparlock the Wizard

Is it? Then I guess I'm pretty uninformed on the subject, I always got the idea that creationism vs evolution was a big problem particularly in the Bible Belt. I don't know any public schools that actually teach it in the curriculum but I didn't figure it was illegal since some Christians were trying to get intelligent design/creationsim in science textbooks.

• Earnest
    Earnest

For the purposes of this requirement, creationism is

any doctrine or theory which holds that natural biological processes cannot account for the history, diversity, and complexity of life on earth and therefore rejects the scientific theory of evolution.

As Snare&Racket observed, this does not prevent discussion of beliefs about the origins of the Earth and living things, such as creationism, in Religious Education, as long as it is not presented as a valid alternative to established scientific theory.

Edited to add that Slate Magazine claims creationism is taught in thousands of schools in the US. I cannot vouch whether this is true.

• cofty
    cofty

It is a constant battle in the USA. Kitzmiller was a decisive victory that established that "ID" is creationism which is religion and therefore unconstitutional.

The National Center for Science Education keeps up the fight...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit