What Do Mormons Really Believe? RE: The Nov. 8, 1995 Awake Magazine

by D_Rolling_Kearney 59 Replies latest watchtower bible

• garyneal
    garyneal

I'm not looking to convert anyone, just clear up misconceptions. It looks like you could all benefit.

So what you're saying is that the Watchtower teaches misinformation about the Mormons. The should come as a surprise to no one, they do it towards other churches too. They do it about those who leave the religion too.

Do the mormons also teach misinformation about other groups?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I remember the Awake! article the OP is referencing. I also remember another important feature of that magazine; it was the first one that ditched the decades old 1914 'generation' masthead. Sorry guy, I've always thought that you and your Mormon buddies were used as a distraction technique in that issue. .

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

JW's don't discriminate, they lie about everyone.

So welcome to the club.

• steve2
    steve2

Based on my own personal research, Mormons have a significantly higher proportion of hot-looking elders than do JWs. There are 28 such good-looking Mormon elders to 0.5 JW elders. By this result, good-looking JW elders are infuriatingly rare. This is not a trivial fact but one that lovers of fine-looking men will appreciate. The combination of good looks and stupid beliefs renders the male species uniquely alluring...but strictly in small doses. My next project is to see if the correlation between good looks and leadership extends to other organizations such as state zoos and funeral homes. My research is tirelessly funded by my own pocket with no state funding. I wish to advise all relevant male Mormons, JWs, state zoo managers and funeral home proprietors of my scholarly interest.Pm-ing me is fine.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I asked a couple of missionaries about the scriptures discussing Jesus killing the fig tree. They said they would look into it and come back. That was over a month ago. One of them called in at the house next door yesterday, but never called on me. I saw her several times yesterday as we were out and about in our town. Her group was ambling very slowly, just kind of passing the time, until they came back to our street to find that the neighbors weren't home yet. She saw me at home and in the car every time, but didn't acknowledge me.

Maybe I should have let them mow the lawns when they offered.

I haven't seen the other one since our chat even though she promised to come back with answers.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Amazing.....I used to be this guy white washing Rutherford and Russells history....I could make Stalin look like a "really nice guy." Religious blindness and brainwashing is worse then cancer.

• treadnh2o
  • Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

If Mormons would allow alcohol and caffeine, they would be the better cult to choose from (just sayin')

We're having a special next week. Join and you can have all the alcohol and caffeine you want.

LisaRose: That's rich, Cold Steel commenting about the Jehovah's Witnesses not having the gift of prophecy, Pot, meet kettle. Besides, the JWs actually do not claim to have the gift of prophecy, although they are so dogmatic about their predictions and ever changing interpretation of scripture, they might as well claim they do.

And what's so "rich" about it? We claim both prophecy and revelation, just as in the ancient church. It seems that if a religion is going to claim any sort of legitimacy, it must have these gifts. The Jehovah's Witnesses just assumed to be God's represented Kingdom on Earth. But how does that work? How do they know God chose them in 1919 (or whenever)? Or that Jesus returned "invisibly"?

Cold steel, you are allowed to post even though you were never a JW, and are usually promoting Mormonism. I don't know if I would be that generous if it were my board.

I only promote Mormonism when someone denegrates it. I have never posted even one topic on Mormonism. If othe people don't bring it up, I never mention it. Also, Mormonism has almost nothing in common with the JWs...I fail to see why people keep trying to link it. Are we a "cult"? Yes. Was early Christianity a cult? Absolutely! In fact, we have much more in common with first century Christianity than any other church I'm aware of.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Based on my own personal research, Mormons have a significantly higher proportion of hot-looking elders than do JWs. There are 28 such good-looking Mormon elders to 0.5 JW elders. By this result, good-looking JW elders are infuriatingly rare. This is not a trivial fact but one that lovers of fine-looking men will appreciate.

Umm...I don't think we're your type, Steve. But you happen to be right. I'm rockin' hot at 60! No gray hair. Just a bit of nose and ear hair, which I keep fashionably trimmed.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Do the mormons also teach misinformation about other groups?

Absolutely not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit