Canada's MACLEANS article "Against their will: Inside Canada’s forced marriages." The main subject in the story is an XJW we all know.

by AndersonsInfo 9 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/against-their-will/

Forced marriage is one of the last taboos to break. A new law could make it a crime. So why do those who champion prevention oppose it?

Rachel Browne

January 5, 2015

Two weeks after her 18th birthday, Lee Marsh was sitting at the kitchen table one Sunday, reading the Bible, when her mother came in and announced that Marsh would marry a 20-year-old member of their Jehovah’s Witness congregation in Montreal. The girl was stunned; she had met her husband-to-be just once. Five weeks later, it was done.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/against-their-will/ 

• Simon
    Simon

Also existing discussion here:

Arranged Marriages by Jehovahs Witnesses

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

While this is bad that it happened, it is definitely not a Watchtower sanctioned practice. Sounds more like an overzealous mother trying to play matchmaker with her daughter. For every one of these instances, there are probably 100 watchtower articles discouraging marriage. The WT is more likely to prohibit marriage then force it.

• jhine
    jhine

Don't the Witnesses like their young people to get married so that they are out of sexual temptation and can start having more Witness children? I do not know about forced marriages I have not heard about this, but I was surprised at the comment that the WT is more likely to prohibit marriage .

Jan

• JHK
    JHK

12 “In many lands, it is customary for parents to choose a mate for their child. It is widely agreed in those cultures that parents have the greater wisdom and experience needed to make such an important choice. Arranged marriages often work out well, as they did in Bible times. The example of Abraham sending his servant to find a wife for Isaac is instructive to parents who may be in a similar position today. Money and social standing were not Abraham’s concern. Rather, he went to great lengths to find a wife for Isaac among people who worshipped Jehovah”.*—Genesis 24:3, 67.

“Keep Yourselves in God’s Love” (2014), page 115, parragraph 12. (Jehovah’s Witnesses publication)

• Cadellin
    Cadellin
    Interesting article.  I have to say, though, that in all my 40+ years as an active JW, I never once heard about forced marriages.  In fact, just the opposite--constant counsel about being careful in making a choice and avoiding marriage until "after the bloom of youth."  While the JW example in the article is a sad story, I think it's more a case of a nutcase parent rather than anything doctrinal.
  • Kenneson
    Kenneson
    I think the Watchtower Society prefers its young people to engage in witnessing rather than marrying or going to college.
  • Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty

I cannot believe that the Andersons even posted this article. It is obvious that this was a mother's choice and nothing to do with JW practice. As a few have already posted on here, JWs do not practice pre- arranged marriage. The quote from "Keep yourselves in God's love" was just a factual statement and not an endorsement for this practice.

It seems that the Andersons just put out anything that their google alert sends out. So desperate for any JW bashing news.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

We  post information that mentions JWs, Nitty-Gritty, no matter what it's about. We chose the name "Andersonsinfo" to post under so people understand that we pass along information to do with JWs, good and bad. You disagreed with the article, and you said why. That's what this discussion board is all about. If you don't like the subjects of the articles we post, write the publishers of the story and express your opinion or use their comment section.

By the way, the person that the article was about didn't say that it was a policy among the JWs to prearrange marriages. She said that it happened to her. She had a right to tell her experience as you have a right to tell yours.  Even though you haven't heard of prearranged marriages among JWs, we have. It depends on the culture that many JWs come from.  

From our experience on the inside of the Witnesses world headquarters, we know that WT leaders are neutral to this type of thing and try to stay out of it. However, in many congregations, it's not necessarily that way, but you're right in saying that overall, JWs do not practice prearranged marriage although we, of course, don't know what goes on behind closed doors among JWs and what they do in private.

In this case, Lee Marsh,  a long-time poster and moderator on this discussion board, did experience prearranged marriage and also abuse at the hands of some JWs and stated that she hears that other JW women have experienced the same things. Many JW elders have never dealt with a case of child sexual abuse either, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't happen to children of JWs by JW molesters.

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

Andersoninfo, thanks for sharing.

i personally don't think this is common among witnesses in the US. I have no idea about other countries. Regardless, this was an interesting read. 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit