1914 C.E. ....the false positive of "1914"

by jjones 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jjones
    jjones

Greetings,

In math, a false postive is a number that looks like the correct answer but is not.

I have written an article that discusses Jehovah's Witnesses interpretation of Daniels prophecy of the "appointed times of the nations". The article demonstrates mathematically that, if a person excepts that interpretation, the number "1914" could not possible equal the date 1914 C.E. They come from two different standards of measure.

If confronted with other beliefs concerning the interpretation of this prophecy, it is doubtful that they would even listen; let alone be swayed. But if they are shown within their own belief that they have made an error, they may be moved to listen. So this treatment uses all of the numerical values Jehovah's Witnesses associate with the interpretation of this prophecy to prove their math error within.

http://brotherjohnsite.wordpress.com/20 ... -identity/

I ask for your time and consideration.

Thank you

jjones

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

First, a warm welcome, jjones! Glad to see you here.

This has been examined many times on this forum. However, let me address two things you state:

The number “1914″ is a number derived from subtracting 606/607 from 2,520. That number is: 1914 lunar calendar years that were remaining till expiration when the Common Era calendar came into use.

It's also derived from adding 2,520 to 607 + 1 for the zero year.

According to the calendar used in the Bible, that “1914″ is equal to 1914 times 360 days; which is equal to 689,040 days.

We're not so concerned with how many days in 1914 years. We are, however with 2520 years, which amounts to 907,200 days.

This forum has many times pointed out the difference between the lunar years used in Bible times and solar years used in the Gregorian calendar. You are right, the math is off, but some of your premises aren't quite correct. The deviation would be with 2520 years as 360 days vs. 365 days (907,200 days vs 919,800 days), a difference of 12,600 days, or -34.52 years. This would place the end of the 2520 years, if using the 360 day calendar at (1914 - 34.52), or 1879.48. I'm sure my math is off somewhere, too, even though I've been through this same calculation about a dozen times in the past year.

That said, the entire thing rests on two major assumptions:

1. That Daniel 4 actually is a dual prophecy. There is no indication in Daniel 4 that it is. Actually, Daniel 4:33 says it was fulfilled: "At that moment the word was fulfilled on Neb·u·chad·nez′zar." Done. No indication of a future prophecy.

2. That Jesus was referring to the destruction of Jerusalem in 607 (a hotly disputed date) in Luke 21:24. This is problematic, not only because of the date, but because Jesus used the phrase "Jerusalem will be trodden down". The Greek word is estai (Strong's 1510) and is in the FUTURE tense. He could not have been referring to an event that occured some 600 years in the past from when he stated it. http://biblehub.com/text/luke/21-24.htm

So, where did this come from? History shows the 2,520 years prophecy was adopted by Russell from Adventists, who adopted it from the Millerites. The teaching is not unique to JWs, but JWs took it to a whole new level. It's sad that they stick to this since it can be easily disproven multiple ways.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Yes, WT essentially says 2 feet plus 3 meters = exactly 5 feet. Sorry, you can't mix two different systems of measurement and get an answer in either one.

--

It's no different than Russell measuring the Great pyramid in Giza using American inches to "prove" the 1914 date. Sorry, Chuck, you have no idea what system of measurement the Egyptians used, but they definitely didn't use the American Inch.

• wantingtruth
  • Bobcat
    Bobcat

Welcome JJones.

I started a thread that looked at 1914 from the perspective of Acts 17:30, 31 here.

• InChristAlone
    InChristAlone

While I do not subscribe to the nonsense of 1914, I do acknowledge a rational way out of the 360/365 day per year dilemma. The expectation is 2520 years. That is 2520 "Nisan 14's" (or any other specific day). The Jewish calendar adjusts the number of days in a year every few years to keep it in line, the same way we add a day for a leap year. We don't have any issue saying March 1, 2007 is exactly 7 years before March 1, 2014 even though two extra days were added between them. So, in my opinion, we use a similar false argument by taking 2520 years a step further and making it 2520 x 360, when that isn't really the case.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit