Updates on 2014 Shun Run

by rawe 7 Replies latest jw friends

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Everyone,

Our plans for this year's Shun Run continues. If you are in the Phoenix area on Saturday, April 12th consider coming out to Papago Park at 10am. We will walk 2.3 miles. Later we will meet at the Phoenix Public Library at 2:00pm. The Witnesses sometimes have their table at library, so if you do see them and decide to interact, please be polite. There will be a sign inside the library directing you to the 4th floor where our meetup will be held.

Our Shun Run is not so much a protest as an opportunity for us to get together and be of encouragement. What we're asking Jehovah's Witnesses to do, most would consider a basic human right -- the right to leave a faith one no longer agrees with without facing reprisals for doing so.

As part of this event I send a letter to 24 different groups and inviduals asking them to speak out against organizational induced shunning. Hopefully some of them will!

The tag line for this year's event is "Show Courage, Don't Shun." It takes courage to leave the faith, it takes courage to post here, it takes courage for some in the faith to decide not to obey instructions to shun and of course it takes courage to come out and support a public event. Such courage is to be celebrated!

Cheers,

-Randy

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Awesome idea, a Shun Run! Have to keep this for consideration.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I'd love to see a "Shun Run" here in Denver!

Quendi

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I admire this type of action. Wish you the best. It would be great if your idea could be used around the country. Do you get press coverage? Hey, library patrons see you.

• rawe
    rawe

Hi cultBgone,

We would love to have you! If you can make it out, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Hi Quendi,

Some have suggested that in past years. It does take a bit of organizing and to get even modest support you'll likely need to be in an area where there are a fair number of ex-JWs. If someone wanted to organize a Shun Run in their local area, I don't mind sharing the details of what I do -- although it really isn't much more than you see what I report here.

Hi Band on the Run,

Thanks! The event is low-key. If one or two even notice the group in Papago Park that would be about it. Instead it is more about those who come out -- giving them an opportunity to be with a larger group of Ex-JWs. One of the members from the West group asked if it would be okay to contact "3 on Your Side" (our local channel 3). I said sure, it is a public event and we would be happy to respond to any interest. However, it is not something I have actively sought. In fact, the truth is, I would be probably need to overcome nervousness to handle that aspect of the event.

The very first year we did the event (there were 9 of us) we ran around the Casa Grande Assembly Hall on a Sunday. I did not think it would be in use, since it was the Sunday before the memorial. But the Spanish group were using it. So, I got up the courage and approached the attendants to tell them what my plans were (I had also written them beforehand). Anyway they called the Pinal County Sherrif! That was a bit unnerving! But it all worked out and was even a bit fun watching the attendants try to be coy and casual watching us as we ran by.

Cheers,

-Randy

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Very impressive.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

All the best to this courageous group.

I hope that it accomplishes what your expectations are, but, the Shunning practice is governed in the West. I doubt they will nudge on this horrible Hate practice.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

great idea. we ought to do one here in the UK - "show courage don't shun" is a wonderful messsage. I'll do a fun run over here to be with you guys in spirit and maybe even print the message on a T shirt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit